General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Accord EX - Inner Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 01 Accord EX - Inner Tire Wear

Got a rotation and balance done on my wife's 01 Accord today, and they mentioned that I was getting a lot of wear on the inside of one of the rears. (This car has 153K, and just 30K on its current set of tires: Hankook Optimo H727.)

I'm a careful, handy guy with some good tools (who can do some math), so I did a camber check in my garage when I got home. Obviously, these are not perfectly accurate numbers, but I think I got pretty close with them:

Front Driver: 0º
Front Passenger: -0.54º
Rear Driver: -1.1º
Rear Passenger: -1.5º

Questions:
  1. What do these numbers tell you if, for the sake of discussion, we can agree they're mosty accurate?
  2. What can I do about the situation, DIY-speaking, in the event that repair is needed?

I also put the car up on jacks and inspected front and rear suspension parts for unusual abuse, bent metal, and/or looseness. Tugged on each wheel at 12-and-6, as well as 3-and-9 but couldn't detect anything amiss there either.

Many thanks!

Last edited by ctgriffi; 06-19-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: corrected a measurement
Old 10-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey, just checking in again, to see if any experienced people have some advice about this inner tire wear situation (see above)... what typically causes this? What kind of adjustment could be made? Appreciate the help.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'll have to look up the camber spec on the 01 and post it in a bit.

I think the only adjustment on the rear of the vehicle is toe. The car may need an alignment. There are also some youtube videos on how to measure toe and do an alignment.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yup, that was my thought too. If your numbers are good, then that's really not enough to cause wear. Does the car pull either right or left? How about in either the right or left lanes of the freeway? Just asking, as the more info we have the better advice we can give.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So, at further research, I'm pretty sure the numbers are pretty bad—for camber OR toe. Spent an hour doing some careful measuring again with plumb lines, level, calipers, etc. Here's what I found:

CAMBER
Front Driver: -.02º (Desired range: -1.0 to +1.0º) OKAY
Front Passenger: -.55º (Desired range: -1.0 to +1.0º) OKAY
Rear Driver: -1.2º (Desired range: -1.0 to 0º) TOO MUCH
Rear Passenger: -1.6º (Desired range: -1.0 to 0º) TOO MUCH

TOE
Front Driver: -.22º (Desired range: -.08 to +.08º) TOO MUCH
Front Passenger: -.18º (Desired range: -.08 to +.08º) TOO MUCH
Rear Driver: -.34º (Desired range: 0 to +.16º) TOO MUCH
Rear Passenger: -.15º (Desired range: 0 to +.16º TOO MUCH

Anyway, I talked to a local tire/alignment shop with a good reputation, and they're gonna take a look at everything tomorrow. They're familiar with these vehicles, know how to make camber adjustments if needed, etc. And, they walk you through everything they're doing, which is right up my alley.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 AM

Hello all. I'm new so bare with me. My ride is having the same issue. both rear tires have inner uneven tire wear. Lots of thumping as I drive. Car doesn't pull in any direction regardless of speed. bought the car new and has 32k miles. the issue began at the same time on both tires and become really obvious once the tires starting thumping. I've been hearing that it is a common issue with the accord.. please help..
btw i have no clue if its a toe or camber, I haven't been able to find any diagram on the 2015 accord.

I ordered new tires but I need to fix this issue before my new tires suffer the same fate...

thanks.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DaPenguin
Hello all. I'm new so bare with me. My ride is having the same issue. both rear tires have inner uneven tire wear. Lots of thumping as I drive. Car doesn't pull in any direction regardless of speed. bought the car new and has 32k miles. the issue began at the same time on both tires and become really obvious once the tires starting thumping. I've been hearing that it is a common issue with the accord.. please help..
btw i have no clue if its a toe or camber, I haven't been able to find any diagram on the 2015 accord.

I ordered new tires but I need to fix this issue before my new tires suffer the same fate...

thanks.
Have your dealership or tire shop do a 4-Wheel alignment.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

... and ask for the before & after numbers.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:11 AM

Still learning lingo on car stuff. What my both rear tires have is cupping on the inside. Car is at 25k miles.