General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Accord EX 2.4 Auto - Intermittent No-Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Thumbs up '03 Accord EX 2.4 Auto - No-Start After Adding Fuel

Hi all! I have seen several posts on this issue, but am compelled to ask anyway.

My '03 Accord EX 2.4 Auto has 184k miles and generally runs great.

Yesterday, (91F outside temp and finishing up a 130 mile trip with the last leg being 25 miles), I stop to get gas (added 5 gallons to 1/4 tank) and the car simply wouldn't start at the pump.

When I first tried to start it, it tried to catch momentarily but failed. It would crank just fine, but acted like a vapor lock situation (not normal with newer vehicles). All the dash lights were active and it cranked easily...just no fire in the hole.

Pushed it into a parking spot and left it overnight. This morning, it fired right up.

Where should I start my troubleshooting?

TIA for your input!

Last edited by Maelstrom; 07-06-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Intermittent issues can be difficult to diagnose, since by definition they are not always there to be detected.

Some things to do next time no start occurs:

1) Notice whether check engine light and Alt light are on when keyswitch is turned to On. If not, the keyswitch may be intermittent.

2) Turn keyswitch On and listen for fuel pump to come on for 2-3 secs and go off. If you don't hear the fuel pump, you won't get a start. This suggests a main fuel relay or fuel pump issue.

good luck

Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the insightful suggestions, TexasHonda!

In this particular case, I edited the title of my original post to "No-Start After Adding Fuel", not "Intermittent No-Start". I say this becasue it did it again today, at the gas pump after filling the tank... That is twice in two days...both times after adding fuel. But it starts fine at all other times.

The rest of the story...

This car has had a CEL for a bad "Purge" valve for about a week. Had to order and wait, but drive the car anyway. Well, since the "Purge" valve isn't working properly, when you add fuel (and pressure that the non-functioning valve would normally "purge" or regulate perhaps?) to the tank, it apparently is actually "flooding" during start! Who'da thunk?!?

In this case, the temp workaround is to floor the accelerator while cranking. It seems the computer is smart enough to know that one is trying to clear a flooding condition and shuts the injector system down when the pedal is maximum during crank. It started right up (being mindful to back off the pedal once it catches) and I kinda had to keep the r's at or above 1200-1500 for a few seconds to clear the flood or it would die and I had to repeat.

Hopefully, the permanent solution will be the new "Purge" valve (appointment on Friday) and I should be good to go.

I'll let you know if this indeed is the solution to my no-start at the gas pump!

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Intermittent issues can be difficult to diagnose, since by definition they are not always there to be detected.

Some things to do next time no start occurs:

1) Notice whether check engine light and Alt light are on when keyswitch is turned to On. If not, the keyswitch may be intermittent.

2) Turn keyswitch On and listen for fuel pump to come on for 2-3 secs and go off. If you don't hear the fuel pump, you won't get a start. This suggests a main fuel relay or fuel pump issue.

good luck

Last edited by Maelstrom; 07-06-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Purge valve is part of evaporative emissions system. I've never heard of no-start from this system, but may be possible.

A flooded engine condition is more likely a leaking injector.

Interested to hear outcome.

good luck

Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 PM

Well, the Purge valve was replaced on Friday, July 8th.

The CEL is non-existent and the no-start (flooding) condition after refueling is no more!

Hope this is informative to all.