General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

05 Accord Navi disc error

Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Default 05 Accord Navi disc error

i did a search already and no real help there.

just had the spark plugs changed and now the nav system gives me an "error reading disc". we didnt disconnect the battery as I did not have to enter my PIN. i just tried a lens cleaner and the disc has absolutely no scratches whatsover, front or back. what could be the problem here? i have not had ANY problems since I bought the car new in 05, but after changing the spark plugs the nav cant read a disc? any help is appreciated.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have an older version of the DVD to eliminate the DVD as the problem? You might want to stop by a dealership and ask them if you can try one from a used 05 on the lot.

You can try disconnecting the battery to see if resetting the navi solves the problem after entering the code.

The problem could be with the navigation unit. I know that Alpine can fix them for around $160 minus shipping. You would remove the head unit and send it to them. You can call Alpine to see if they can fix this type of problem or if they have another suggestion.

Here is a thread with some more information:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...problem-39649/

Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 PM

update. its not the dvd. i have never had a problem whatsoever. i took it to the dealer and they said they would just switch it out with another unit. $300. they dont work on them there and would send it out to be fixed. guess ill go without built-in nav and just use my phone.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:20 PM

I have the same problem on my 05! Also tried lens cleaner and didnt work... I then removed the dvd rom and opened up the unit and cleaned the lens with an ear bud and stuck it all together and hey presto it worked!!

The only problem is that this evening, came home from work, nav was working fine... went to move the car later and was reading the disk error again!! So it only worked for about 2 weeks! Oh I also thought it was my disk as it had a few scratches on it so I copied my original disk and that is what I was running on for the last 2 weeks. I did check the original when I got it working the first time and the disk was fine. So its not that.

I wonder if anybody knows what else this could be? Perhaps a temperature related thing? as it is cold here now? ..

Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try and update. As far as tempature being a factor, I don't think so. My problems started this summer and I'm in SoCal so it was really, really hot.