General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

05 Honda Accord 4 Cyl- Check Engine Light on, Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Default 05 Honda Accord 4 Cyl- Check Engine Light on, Help Please

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice.

My check engine light came on a little while ago and I went to Autozone to have them check it out and the troubleshooting code I received was 0141. My car inspection is up so I have to go do that as well and need to get issue fixed so my car won't get rejected.

What is the best and inexpensive way to go about this? How much will this repair cost me? I don't want to pay the dealership price (I'm not even sure how much that would cost but knowing Honda, probably $400+).

The rep at Autozone found the aftermarket part (Bosch) in their system for about $100 but I don't know if it's a quality or really compatible part for my car..

Please Help..

Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

1. P0141 is secondary heated oxygen heater circuit malfunction. Normally the O2 sensor is the part triggering the trouble code. The same code could come up related to something in the circuit, such as one of the wires cut; but, generally it is the sensor needing replacement.

2. If you are not doing it yourself, then find an independent mechanic, preferably one that specializes in Hondas. Some shops do not allow you to bring your own part, while some do; you have to ask. Labor probably half an hour to one hour charge, as the electrical connector is a little difficult to get at.

The rear sensor is different for California models vs. other states. The Honda O2 sensor (non-Calif) part number is 36532-RAA-A02. Denso is usually the Honda OEM part, so it doesn't need to be bought from the dealer. Denso 234-4797 should be the cross-reference number. A Bosch 15409 should cross-reference the same. The prices look lower than $100 even at Autozone. What State is your Accord and model trim level?

3. Attached is an image of the sensor location.

4. This link will give you an idea of what is involved in the replacement of that sensor.

https://sites.google.com/site/hondar...-oxygen-sensor

Attached Thumbnails 05 Honda Accord 4 Cyl- Check Engine Light on, Help Please-2003-2007-accord-l4-af-sensor-o2-sensor.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the response redbull..Now how accurate are those Autozone readings? The rep told me its gas ca and oxygen sensor and I really hope it's just that.

Also is this something I can have any good mechanic do or should I go to one that specializes in Honda cars? The mechanic I just met used to work for Chrystler..

Old 07-24-2014, 08:00 AM

Before doing anything I would clear the code and run the car through a drive cycle which is usually around 60 miles. If the light does not come back on the car should pass inspection. If it does not then replace part. ULEV engine require a different sensor then non ULEV's. Autozone can not clear you code, but often times they will let people use their scanners and tell you how to do it, thus you are the one clearing the codes not them.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

The alpha-numeric trouble code(s) are stored in your car's computer(for example P0141, P0135, etc.). Autozone is just using an OBD (On-Board Diagnostic) reader/scanner to retrieve the alpha-number code. The description of the possible problem they gave is just based on the software of the reader they have, not from the car's computer. --That is why on this forum, we request that forum users post the actual trouble code, we don't really need Autozone's description of the possible problem.

In your case, the P0141 points to a problem with the rear sensor.

Sometimes, the check engine light (aka Malfunction Indicator Lamp) will go out by itself. In that case, it is what Honda terms an "intermittent failure" which means a system may have had a failure, but checks OK now. If the check engine light was on but then went out, the original problem may have been intermittent. -- So, it is possible the light may go out on it's own and may or may not come back.

On many cars, the computer will store a pending trouble code the first time it is detected and no check engine light will be on. Depending on the type of failure/problem detected, if the same failure is detected on 2 consecutive drive cycles, then check engine light comes on. The check engine light may turn off after several other drive cycles if the same failure is no longer detected.

Any good/competent mechanic should be able to change the oxygen sensor; doesn't have to be specialized in Hondas. They just need to know the location of the sensor and electrical connector; but, they need to know to remove things, such as the 3 white plastic clips holding the sensor wiring at the bottom of the car, without breaking them and leaving your wiring hanging afterward. See the link in my previous posts for the picture of one of the plastic clip.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM
cj1
Newest Of Newbies

All very good advise, i would add that on the off chance the sensor circuit wiring is at fault they should first test at the disconnect. I would mention this to your mechanic, no extra work to speak of and narrows the fault to the sensor itself.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the advise everyone.