General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1986 honda accord lxi hatchback. High beams not working.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 12:04 AM
Default 1986 honda accord lxi hatchback. High beams not working.

So my Hondas high beams don't work, when I flip the swich it turns the lights completely off, I checked the brights fuse and they are good. The brights indicator turns on and all other lights work as normal, I was hoping someone could push me in the right direction. I had read that the low beams stay on when the brights are on so that sounds like I have a bad brights swich or a bad relay somewhere but I don't really know.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I found an 86 accord shop manual a long time ago that has a wiring diagram. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to online shop manuals. The hondahookup link still works, but you'll have to sign up for that forum.

The wiring diagram shows the low beams turn off on the 86 accord when the high beams are on. Newer accords can have a different setup.

If you have a volt meter, turn on the headlights and check the tabs on top of the two high beam fuses to see if they have power. Search youtube for quickly test fuses. There is a 1A Auto video that shows how to use a test light. The volt meter would serve the same function.

If the fuses get no power on either tab, then either the healight switch isn't making good contact or there are some broken wires. On older accords, you may be able to disassemble the switch and clean up the contacts to restore function. I used a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol on an old Honda motorcycle to restore a good connection for the headlight as fining new parts for a 38 year old car my be difficult.