General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Accord Tranny - Dextron II ok?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
mothman
Unregistered
Default 1987 Accord Tranny - Dextron II ok?

1987 Accord LX 2.0L, Carb, auto transmission
I'm thinking of draining out the fluid in hopes it might get the tranny working again.
The old manual says use Dextron or Dextron II but from what I see the posts refer to ATF-Z1 but I don't know if that means just the newer accords?
In my case the tranny just started to make a bad sound after slowing down after say hitting 40 (I believe the torque converter is locking?)
If I drive around in D3 rather than D4 it seems to work fine.
I checked the tranny fluid level and it looks good but the fluid hasn't been changed since my son bought the car about 2 years ago (just city mileage and I'm unsure of the clicks).
I was also wondering if anybody would have anything good to say about trying an additive as a last ditch attempt to fix this also?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1987 Accord Tranny - Dextron II ok?

maybe the TC is coming apart....there are pressure test ports on the trans case and procedures in the manual.
It won't hurt to use dextron, however the ATF Z-1 is a better fluid.
3 quarts to drain and refill.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:22 PM
mothman
Unregistered
Default RE: 1987 Accord Tranny - Dextron II ok?

Well I went ahead with some ATF brand and put in a little 'Lucas something or other for good measure' so we'll if it makes it better or worse )
Thanks for the response, btw. I have a Haynes manual and a pdf I downloaded from somewhere a while ago so I'll have a look at your reference also and see if it's something I can figure out. I may have a line on another trans from another guy who had his car rear ended and now has an engine and tranny he's trying to sell if it comes to that.