General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Accord Cooling Fan problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:05 AM
namxas
Unregistered
Default 1990 Accord Cooling Fan problems

My 1990 Accord was having an issue with the battery going dead. I discovered that for some reason my cooling fan relay was opening and closing pretty quickly. I don't think it is the relay as I switched the power window relay with the cooling fan relay and it did the same thing. Now I have a fully charged battery and the clicking quit. I then discovered the fuse for the cooling fan was blown. I replaced it and now the fan runs continuously...even if I haven't driven the car for a few days. The cooling fan seems to be working well. Could my problem be my temperature sensor? What should I try next?

Thanks!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 1990 Accord Cooling Fan problems

Not absolutely sure I understand your description of the problem.

If fan runs all the time w/ keyswitch OFF.This problem is almost certainly caused by a failed-closed Thermoswitch B which is only supposed to close when engine coolant temp is > 225F, and will only drive one fan (passenger side )when car is OFF. A failed-close switch would cause the fan to run all the time when the keyswtich is OFF.

Diagnosis confirmation is easy. Pull the connector on Thermoswitch B and fan should stop. It's located on the upper radiator hose fitting at the engine side. A new thermoswitch B is necessary to fix.

If both fans run all the time w/ keyswitch ON, then Thermoswitch A has failed close. Diagnosis and fix is same. Thermoswitch A is on the thermostat housing behind and below the distributor.

good luck

Old 06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1990 Accord Cooling Fan problems

Don't rule out the fan timer module. Both fan switches (A & B) plug into this module, and it contains the logic to decide which (or both) fans to run. The fan switches aren't DIRECTLY connected to the fan relays.

As far as the wiring harness is concerned, this timer module would be capable of screwing up and causing the problem.