General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Honda Accord Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:01 PM
chall_70
Unregistered
Angry 1990 Honda Accord Problems...

Hey Guys, Im in a pinch. I have a 1990 Honda Accord not running...The car kept going dead and wouldnt start. So I heard from a neighbor to disconnect the negative battery cable while running..to see if it was the battery or alternator. So I did, which was a mistake. The car ran for a bit then died. I got inside the car and smelled a burning smell. I replaced the alternator. The car still wont start. I looked at the fuse box and the ecu fuse kept popping when the ignition kicked on. So I replaced the Ecu w/ a 1992 honda accord ecu off of ebay. The car acts like it wants to start but wont. Its turning over very slow. What should I do??
Any help will be greatly appreciated..
Thanks!
Adam

Old 08-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I would clean and tighten all ends of both battery cables. You might was well inspect the alternator cable for problems too.

When the car wasn't starting before, was the starter turning the engine at a normal rate? Describe what was happening in more detail about the no start.

What fuse was blowing (provide label, amps, number, etc)?

It sounds like a bad battery to me. You can take the battery to get tested at autozone.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:07 PM
chall_70
Unregistered
Talking

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would clean and tighten all ends of both battery cables. You might was well inspect the alternator cable for problems too.

When the car wasn't starting before, was the starter turning the engine at a normal rate? Describe what was happening in more detail about the no start.

What fuse was blowing (provide label, amps, number, etc)?

It sounds like a bad battery to me. You can take the battery to get tested at autozone.
Thanks PAhonda,

I really appreciate your help. Just charged the battery and the car fired right up. Thanks again for your help.

Adam

Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

I love it when it's an easy fix.
I love it even more when the original poster comes back & tells us what the fix was!