General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Accord restart problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
HondaFan22
Unregistered
Default 1993 Accord restart problem

I have a 1993 Honda Accord 2.2 fI(216k) which runs great most of the time. However, sometimes when I start the car and drive the 1/2 mile to the post office and shut it down (i.e not warmed up). It fails to restart until I wait 2-3 minutes.. Then it starts up and all is well. I was wondering what was the most likely cause of this behavior? While it does not do this every time, when it does this behavior does repeat it has never left me hanging for more than a few minutes... so far.. thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 1993 Accord restart problem

Need to determinewhetheryou have lack of fuel or spark problem.

First, when no-start occurs listen carefully for fuel pump to turn on when keyswitch is first turned to ON (not Start). Fuel pump should come on w/ a quiet buzz from the rear (inside the fuel tank). You may have to get someone to listen at the open fuel tank filler. If you hear nothing, the fuel pump is not being powered. This suggests a likely failure of the Main Fuel Relay (MFR). However, it could also be a "sticky" fuel pump that binds and will not start on first application of power. I had this happen last year to my 94EX.

IF fuel pump comes on and runs for 2-3 secs, and shutsdown the MFR and fuel pump are fine.

I would then suggest checking for spark by pulling a spark plug lead and installing to a dummy plug grounded to engine body. Turn engine over and look carefully for a blue-pink spark. Reduced light helps greatly. If No spark, you've found the problem. This test is not definitive, and presence of a spark can be there w/ a weak ignition coil, but no spark means most lkely power is not getting to the distributor. Reason is likely a faulty intermintent keyswitch.

The DIY section has further diagnostics to isolate whether problem is coil or ignitor, once you've isolated the problem. Also see MFR DiY instructions.

good luck