General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Honda Accord EX - Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Garrett
Unregistered
Default 1994 Honda Accord EX - Stalling

My 17 year old son’s car has been stalling when ever coming to a stop sign. I haven’t been able to help him. I’m in Alaska and he’s in Idaho. I’m looking for some helpful advice.

Here’s the order of items worked & results;

- Replaced ignition switch - No improvement
- Removed, cleaned & reinstalled Idle ACV - No improvement
- Replaced Idle ACV - No improvement
- Replaced all spark plugs - Parked idle improved, but still dies when driven

After replacing the spark plugs, the engine was started and allowed to run at parked idle (750 rpm) for 10 minutes. During this time; depressed accelerator to increase RPM’s to about 1500 and quickly released accelerator -- RPM’s settled at 750 with no problems. Allowed engine to continue idling for an additional 10 minutes; performed same accelerator test with no problems.

Then, place transmission shifter in reverse to back out of drive; engine nearly stalled. Placed transmission in 1st gear and began moving forward -- rpm’s naturally increased and depressed clutch pedal to shift again; but when rpm’s dropped and the engine stalled. The engine refused to start. Allowed 15 minutes and attempted to start engine. Engine started but and then stalled. Subsequent attempts had same result.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Have him check the distributor cap and rotor for excessive wear. If they are due to be replaced, then have him replace those maintenance items.

Has the check engine light come on? He should short the service connector with a thin paperclip. See these instructions: http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

A starting/stalling problem is due to lack of spark, fuel, or possibly compression. A timing light would help verify spark. When he tries to start the car, there should be enough spark generated to flash the light.

As for fuel, you can try to spray starting fluid into the throttle body to see if the car starts for a moment then stalls. Can he hear the fuel pump turn on for ~2 seconds when the key is initially turned to the II position?