General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Accord heavy surging//Computer ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:02 PM
Default 1995 Accord heavy surging//Computer ?'s

Hello all.
1995 Accord new to us. Speedo issues so mileage unknown. Maybe around 150k?
We have surging issues that are starting to get pretty bad. Cleaned the iac but did not fully remove it. Surges when both hot and cold. Never effects driveability. Today son was driving it and ran very poorly when trying to accelerate. Bogged down heavily and would cut in/out almost like fuel cutting off/ignition cutting out. When it would finally 'catch' seemed smooth and had power. Would stumble badly then when it finally took hold shot straight up to about 3k rpm and accelerated normally. Did while driving and also in neutral when reving the engine. No check engine light. Any suggestions as to where to start? If computer sensed problems but no light would it work to try to pull codes? How do I do that? By the way, today was a
98 degree day-hottest day he has driven it. Engine temp just under halfway. Open to suggestions.
Thanks

Old 07-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Assuming this is a 4 cyl.

Double check the coolant level, these don't like any air I the system.

There is also the FITV, again it uses the engine coolant to regulate the idle so being sure there isn't any air in the system is a good place to start.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Yes, this is a 4cyl, auto. Sorry about that.
I will check the air in the system issue. Thank you. In my research I have seen FITV before. Sorry, but what does that stand for?
Jeff

Old 07-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Fast Idle Thermo Valve.

It is bolted to the bottom of the throttle body and has 1 or 2 coolant lines going to it. There is a metal cover you can remove. You can clean the valve, then snug the plastic threaded cap until it is snug.

See this video:

Old 07-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Fast Idle Thermo Valve

On the 5th gen's it is on the "bottom" of the Throttle Body with two small coolant hoses going to it. If you pull the intake dust from the TB you can see it better.....if you do pull that, you can look into the TB and there are two "holes", the lower is where the air goes through the FITV. You could start the car and let it start to act up and put your finger over the hole and see if it changes........PS, the upper goes to the IAC so you can play with that one if you want

EDIT: Slow typing, I see PA just replied

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Accord heavy surging//Computer ?'s-5th-gen-fitv-pic.jpg  
Old 07-06-2018, 05:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Heavy surging

You mentioned speedo not working how about tach and odometer? A bad vss and inoperable gauges can cause car to stumble, miss and poor performance. Do the search on vss and gauges.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:30 AM

Removed and cleaned the fitv and iac. Also removed and cleaned the map sensor. A little better but still there-only when hot. No check engine light but pulled codes anyway and got 12 (I think) but the code checked to be egr. Will clean that this weekend. However pulled plug wires and the plastic spacer that goes in the head had large long cracks in 2 of them. Will replace them tonite and see what happens. Will also replace the fuel filter. Used stethoscope on each injector to see if any of them sounded different but all sound the same.
Thought about the vss but this happens at when the speedo is working. Would you still suspect the vss?