General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Accord Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Default 1995 Accord Transmission Issues

Greetings First post. Just got a 95 Accord for my son. Speedo doesn't work all the time so miles unknown. Guessing 150K. Trans fine when cold. Shifts between gears just fine all the time. When warm he gets a chatter (for lack of better words) when starting out from a stop. It isn't like a slip, more of a chatter. Goes up to 1500 or so then grabs, releases then grabs again. When it finally takes it shifts fine until next stop. Fluid level was fine. Dirty but didnt smell burned. Changed the fluid and the plug had a few wiskers on it but also had grayish sludge so it was obviously old. For diagnostic purposes I will have him start out in 2nd to see if it is any better. Says when he puts in 1st it helped some but still has the issue. No blinking D4 light. Will the trans control module give me any codes if the D4 hasn't flashed? Don't know if it makes a difference or not but suspect speed sensor priblems. We also cleaned the idle air valve because of low idle. Seems a little better idle wise but no change on trans. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff

Old 06-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

You may need to drain and refill a few more times to exchange out the old fluid if you only did one drain & refill.

You may want to remove the shift and lockup solenoids and clean out any debris in the screens.

Is the check engine light turning on while driving? There are some codes that won't cause the D4 to blink, so you should check for engine and transmission codes.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:30 AM

No check engine light. Will pull codes. Think I found where/how to pull the codes in the manual. Will be tomorrow before I can get to it tho.
Jeff

Old 06-30-2018, 08:58 PM

Seems better. Did the top solenoid which I think is the lockup one. Squirted cleaner in the holes while we activated the solenoid with a 12 volt lead. Got a chunk of crap out.
Jeff

Old 06-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting the result and keep us updated if you find other issues. Automatic transmissions are the toughest component in the car to diagnose for me.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 PM

I am big on finishing up posts with a result. We have a couple old Cadillacs so I am on those forums often. I hate when we never hear back from the original poster with results.
We have daily drivers of course but this 95 Accord is the first thing with a computer that I have ever really worked on. Hard to try to figure out what the computer is doing/trying to tell me.
Jeff