General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Accord massive oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1996 Accord massive oil leak

I might be interested in this car, but the oil and engine stuff kinda worries me.
What would cause the oil to run dry from an engine so quick?

1996 Honda Accord Station Wagon

Old 02-14-2016, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

You need to find out more about this car. You need to find out what side of the engine the oil was leaking. They mentioned the oil pan, but a big leak could be coming from above the pan.

Here are some areas to look:

- Behind the timing belt cover due to a shaft seal. The front balance shaft seal or crank, cam, and the rear balance shaft o-ring.
-Oil filter
-Oil pressure switch
-Valve cover
-Distributor o-ring
-vtec (if an ex)
-rear main seal

Old 02-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You need to find out more about this car. You need to find out what side of the engine the oil was leaking. They mentioned the oil pan, but a big leak could be coming from above the pan.

Here are some areas to look:

- Behind the timing belt cover due to a shaft seal. The front balance shaft seal or crank, cam, and the rear balance shaft o-ring.
-Oil filter
-Oil pressure switch
-Valve cover
-Distributor o-ring
-vtec (if an ex)
-rear main seal
I dont think its an EX, I'll look into the location and see whats what. if it hasnt sold by then.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

That car sure needs a better owner. A shot of the actual model type or the engine type would help, but if the current owners have no idea of where to locate, maybe a shot of the driver's manual is a start. Tow pick-up? Wow. Prob has a bunch of overdue maintenance. That $1250 will go higher with all the tune-up. Might also want to ask about past service/repair/damage/accidents. Beware! Good deal, but I doubt it's just an oil pan gasket. Great sales tactic.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by According2You
That car sure needs a better owner. A shot of the actual model type or the engine type would help, but if the current owners have no idea of where to locate, maybe a shot of the driver's manual is a start. Tow pick-up? Wow. Prob has a bunch of overdue maintenance. That $1250 will go higher with all the tune-up. Might also want to ask about past service/repair/damage/accidents. Beware! Good deal, but I doubt it's just an oil pan gasket. Great sales tactic.
Good point on the tune-up costs, odds are most of the rubbers about shot at least with the mileage being so low. I'd be looking at an engine tune up, suspension, and many new seals.

With the cars history its anyones guess, here in Missouri Honda sellers always have a thing or two to hide (No offense to any fellow Missourians on this site). Should be noted they dont specifically mention the rusty muffler (just the cars loud), and they're very hesitant at running the engine even with a can of oil.