General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Accord Cruise Control Clutch Switch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 02:49 PM
Default 1997 Accord Cruise Control Clutch Switch Wiring

Hello all!

I've had my Accord for about 5 years now, and cruise control has never worked on this car. I tried everything that I could think of, and everything I read online, nothing worked, so I gave up trying to fix it. Skip to today, I had to remove the clutch pedal in order to reach the interlock switch, and in doing so, I found that someone prior to my owning the car, had cut 2 wires that go to the clutch cruise control switch. There are 3 wires, a yellow wire with red stripe, (still attached), a black wire (cut), and an orange wire (cut).

Does anyone know where the 2 cut wires are supposed to go? Whoever cut them apparently wired them to something else, or completely cut them because I can't seem to find those cut wires under the dash.

I would imagine the black wire goes to ground, but I wouldn't have any clue where the orange wire goes.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
hoonior
1997 Accord 2.2L F23A swap LX MT

Old 11-10-2021, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

The cut wires should come from the same wire harness the yel/red wire comes from. You may need to peel back the plastic cover to find the cut wires.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:49 PM

I appreciate the reply, but the wire harness is way up in the dash, I'd have to take the whole dash apart to find it. I'd rather just run 2 new wires to wherever they go.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Someone cut the wires for a reason, and I also see a lot of modified wiring from your picture.

I'm wondering if the wires were cut and routed somewhere else?

Also, take a closer look at the orange wire that was cut on the white plastic connector. Is that actually a pink wire?

Old 11-10-2021, 07:08 PM

The other wires that you see just powered up some gages that I had added when the car was boosted. They actually don't do anything now.

No I'm pretty sure it's orange. My eyesight isn't that great anymore, so it's hard for me to get a good look, but the picture is pretty clear, and when I zoom in it looks orange to me, but maybe it's discolored.

I have no clue why someone would have cut them.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Not a big deal about orange vs pink. My shop manual for the 94 accord says it is a pink wire. I want to make sure you are dealing with the correct electrical connector.

The orange (or pink) wire goes to the electrical connector for the cruise control unit. The black wire goes to ground. When the clutch pedal is released, the orange (pink) wire is connected electrically to the black ground wire. I'm wondering if the orange (pink) wire was routed to ground to bypass that switch? I'd try the best you can to see if you can locate the original pink wire just to make sure it isn't already spliced or connected to the black ground wire. The other way to test is to unplug the cruise control unit and use a volt meter on the orange (pink) wire to see if it has continuity to ground before doing more modifications to the wiring.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:55 PM

Awesome, thank you. I'll check that tomorrow.