General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Honda Accord LX - Assistance

Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Exclamation *** 1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX - Stalling - Will Not Start ***

What's Good Honda Family

(1997 HONDA ACCORD WAGON LX - 5 SPEED - 4 CYL - 2.2L - 138K)

I really don't know how to start but I'm just try to make it simple.

1. I had Spark plugs saturated in oil.
2. I Changed head gasket, spark plugs and o-rings - stable for about 4 months.
3. Story below will explain where I stand now with my situation.

(4 Months Later - Incident from 3/24/13)

I was shifting into 4th gear (MERGING ON A HWY) and out of no where I could no longer use my acceleration pedal. It went down but no movement in RPMs. Downshifted and all, still no acceleration functions and the gasoline smell was putrid i mean STRONG. So i try to pull over to the right as close as I could due to the fact there was no shoulder. Then my Accord stalls so I throw on hazards. 10 Minutes later (REMEMBER NO SHOULDER) WACCKKKKKK!!! Car sideswiped me And of course he fled, I live in Newark, NJ so that explains that and why the cops never arrived.... 5 Minutes after that a jeep cherokee almost killed me. He had to be doing like 80 and missed me by maybe half an inch.... I 'be here writing this right now and no Im no looking for sympathy just wanted to share my experience from last night. Car will not start now. It has lights, gas but just wont turn over. I also thought it could be the throttle cable but, I pressed the gas and seen the throttle body move under the hood (IM TALL - LOL) - And the throttle under the hood was moving properly. The only thing I didnt like was the cables connected to that throttle under the hood has no slack in it.. It had no tention, yet it moved when I hit the gas...

* AND THE KICKER IS I GOT THIS CAR 6 MONTHS AGO AND 1 MONTH AFTER I HAD IT A TRACTOR TRAILER WITH NO BOX BACKED RIGHT INTO THE CAR... GOOD LUCK DONT YOU AGREE GUYS??

*** ANYWAY MY BIG QUESTION HERE IS - DO YOU THINK THE ISSUE LIES WITH THE
BOTTOM O-RINGS?NOT THE TOP ONES BUT THE ON UNDER THE VALVE COVER AND UNDER THE ASSEMBLY? OR MAYBE ADJUST VALVES? JUST MY THOUGHTS* IF NOT WHAT DO YOU THINK GUYS ANY ADVICE IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED ***

* I also enclosed a link in case this helps or gives anyone else advice in this situation.

Last edited by jmendes0609; 03-25-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Did the oil fill the spark plug tubes?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 PM

The middle 2 of the 4 had oil on them when i disconnected the spark plug wires. And yes the spark plug tubes itself had oil in them in which i had to clean out as well. 30 minutes later filled with oil again... Just seems like there is no spark at all. Taking it to the shop tomorrow or the next day hopefully. Thanks for your help guys.