General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 3.0 v-6 timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Default 2000 3.0 v-6 timing belt question

On other engines that I have changed the timing belt idler tensioner and water pump, I have had to lock the camshafts using a special tool, or other homemade method to lock the camshfts position relative to each other and the crank. What is the situation in this motor? Is there a special tool or method to hold the camshafts or do you rotate every thing to where all the valves are closed ? I don't have anything on the breakdown or the cash to buy a manual, and I did not see a tutorial posted. Any help or a point to a tutorial would be really appreciated.
tha gorilla

Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 AM
bpp
Newest Of Newbies

There are marks on the cam and crank that align with marks on the engine that correspond when cylinder 1 is at top dead center (TDC). You might need to clean off the marks a bit on the engine to make it clearer or you can use a paint pen to help. Just make sure the marks are still all lined up after the new belt is installed and tension has been applied to the belt. BTW this is pretty universal on almost all cars on all makes. You dont need tools to hold these items in place and even if they arent marked, its easy enough to mark them yourself with a paint pen. However, I have done very few timing belts so I guess I could be wrong...

Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Im taking it that the honda is all closed when the timing marks on the crank and cam shaft are aglined, Ive also read that the slack must be worked out to the tensioner side. I will be doing the job turkey day and friday hopefully. It doesn't sound that intimidating,I'll have a marker and I have had a warm up drill in that I replaced the tensioner and belt about 2 months ago. On that jobthe bolts on the cover and in general were a PITA to get out, and a crap shoot to get started in as I have large forearms and there is very limited space to move in.
tha gorilla

Old 11-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

If you go to the ericthecarguy site, he has a video for $10 on changing the V6 timing belt. This guy was an Acura mechanic for a long time and knows all the details. It will be a step by step procedure. It is worth arming yourself with as much good information as possible.