General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 accord LX, 4cyl. with Cruise Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 PM
2kakkord
Unregistered
Default 2000 accord LX, 4cyl. with Cruise Problem

This is all for a 2000 Accord, LX, 4 dr. auto, with 4 cyl. Hope that is all that is needed...

This is the scenario and I am hoping that it can be easily diagnosed here.
I have the dash pulled apart and don't want to start putting it back together getting to the point of thinking it was the brake switch. The car still drives so it comes out of Park. However, I don't know if the brake lights are functional. Never checked as I didn't know that the two were working off the same switch before pulling this down as far as I have...
I have just joined here so please forgive me if I miss and perform a restriction I am not aware of.... (hinking this may get long)
Real quick then:
The Main CC switch is functional, as when the SW set sw. is pushed, the green "cruise control" is seen in the dash to the left of the odometer. You can feel the CC want to take control at the pedal, but only for a split second. Then the light message in the dash goes out and that is it, period. You can not get anything from anything again until you turn OFF THWE MAIN SW. and then back on again. But still that is as far as you can get. I beleive the speedometer is working as I remember watching my speed all the time(I saw it was an issue in another post) and the mileage check also will work and reset.
I took the brake switch out and checked continuity between terminals.
According to the diagram I took out of what is suppose to be a copy of factory Honda manual on CD gotten off Ebay the sw. is setup like this...

1 2
3 4
Between 1-2, when released, it should be closed, 3-4 open
and vice versa for 3-4.
What I have is released 2-3 is closed and 1-4 open, and vice versa when it it depressed.
I ordered a new switch adn when I got it it was exactly the same. I called the parts manager, explained to him all of this.
So either the manual is wrong or I had two bad switches... I am thinking the manual is showing incorrect switch info... The replacement switch was OEM Honda in bubble with correct part number label on it.

So I am hoping that with all the brain power in here I can get some help from all of it and help me out with this.
I apologize if I took up too much bw..

Thanks very much...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a shop manual, it should have some diagnostics for the cruise control system. Check fuses and the switches.

Sounds like your brake switch is ok.

You should test both the automatic gear position switch(under the center console) and the actual set/resume switch (since you already have the dash pulled apart).

The shop manual has the proper pins to test for open vs. closed depending on the switch position. From my 95 manual, the at gear position switch has a separate pin for the cruise control system.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
2kakkord
Unregistered
Default Re: 2000 Accord CC...

I checked the set/resume sw. before going into the dash and it checked good.. The manual I have is on a CD and does not have an individual troubleshooting area in it. The schematics at very difficult to read at best as they are shown in 'sections' and not the entire schematic to be able to follow any circuit easy and see if it might feed or get fed from another.
I need to ask why would the gear position switch have anthing to do with it? I am not even sure what that does as it sounds only if it sees what position the shift lever is in... If it starts as it needs to in park and possibly neutral, it doesn't need to see anythihg after that. I would need to have it explained to me why it would or should... I would think that if that were the problem, would it not be a quick way to check it and put it in 3rd from DR on the selector and see if it changes behavoir? Method to my madness is that if it were just out of position moving it that much would allow it to see what it needed to see and then engage CC. Plus this does engage but then cuts loose acting as if the brake pedal had been hit at the same time that it was engaged. If it was the gear postion switch, then I would think that it would not even engage at all... correct? I am assuming though the method in which the gear position swtich operates...
thank you for the input and if you would expand on this reply with my questions.....?
thanks...

Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

In order for the cruise control to set, one of the inputs for the cruise control unit (cruise control computer) is from that gear position switch.

Your car can only be in D4, D3, or D2 for cruise control to work. It may be a safety feature.

There should be a test for the a/t gear position switch in that shop manual that you have.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 AM
2kakkord
Unregistered
Default test for gear postion

I will check that out. If it is out of position, would it not find one of the others however is you were to try to use the CC in any of the other selections? In other words, might not be lined up for the D4 but will catch on D3 or D2... I would think that it would workat D3 as D2 would be way out of position..
thank you again...

Old 10-23-2009, 02:19 AM
2kakkord
Unregistered
Default followup

I have been unable to get back to this and plan on it for tomorrow. I checked on location of CC unit location at the beginning of all of this and I could not locate it. It is not where it is supposed to be according to the drawing on the CD manual. Can you give me an alternate location?

Also, it was stated the gear control unit is under the center console. May I just take the innards of it out to access it? Have not found any mention of it on the CD manual yet either...

NOTE:>> this CD, from appearances, looks like it should be very informative and have a lot in/on it as claimed. As much or even more than a OEM Honda Shop Manual which is what I always get... OEM Shop manuals... I have that big 3 vol New York Phone Book one for my Blazer and it does have everything although it is not easy to navigate.. nor is the Honda CD for that matter... it will not open muliti pages for you if I recall,,, but i am not sure about that...
hell getting off track here,.. sorry..
anyway.. the gear thingymabob... whatchacallit. CHINGADERRO (sp) get to from the inside of the console or does the console need to come off for whatever needs or may need to be done here? If I can get a question or three answered it will save me some time and reassembly time also...

thanks for any input folks...
OUT

Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

I used to have a 1998 automatic & I kinda remember that the gear selection indicators came from the tranny or from the tranny controller (the tranny part of the "powertrain control module"). It's not a physical "gear position switch" in the console at all.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:20 AM
2kakkord
Unregistered

I troubleshooted everything down to the actuator. Can't check the speed sensor and the cruise control unit itself without the car moving down the road or get it up in the air which I have not been able to do yet.
The acutator is not activating when I apply voltage to the two pin outs that the manual says to check.
I want to ask if there is another way to check the actuator unit when out of the vehicle. Does anyone know what the wires off the plug go to so that I knw which one needs to have voltage applied and then the chasis or which wire to ground.. Just want to confirm or rule out the actuator as the problem...
Real quick here... When I push in the Main Switch, the dash indication comes on and the green "Cruise Control" is light up... after trying to push the "Set" button, but only stays on for a split second. I am pretty sure I detailed all of this before. But what I was trying to point out in the description of all of this is that the green indication, after going off after pushing the "Set" button will not do anything AT ALL until after the Main Sw. is pushed in, turned off, then pushed in again and turned back on before it will do anything again. Which is always only what I already described. Only goes on right after the main is pushed in and then when the Set button is pushed but goes off again... That is the circle it goes in... So, what in the complete operable circuit has to be working correctly to allow the Green Cruise Control indication in the dash to go on AND off AND ON AGAIN without pushing in the Main Sw.? If the actuator not working correctly will not allow that to reset correctly then maybe I have found the problem, if not then maybe the speed sensor or the cruise control unit itself then at that point. I check all of the imputs on the 16pin plug off the cruise control unit itself and the actuator did not check out and like I said I didn't check the other two...
So any info on the actuator pin out functions appreciated for an off vehicle check...
thanks..