General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord: Oil Pan Leak?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Default 2001 Accord: Oil Pan Leak?

Hello all. I ran over a bumper cover on the highway recently and damaged the oil pan. I had it replaced by my mechanic and found that it was still leaking after he replaced it. I brought it back and he said that he hadn't originally installed a new gasket, but was told by the auto part supplier of the new oil pan that he just needed to use some sort of sealant. He decided that he would use the gasket on the reinstall. It has still been leaking (I add about a half quart every few weeks). I brought it back to the mechanic recently and he said that it wasn't the oil pan leaking; that he had it running on the lift and hadn't noticed any oil dripping, but that it seemed to be leaking from the subframe and was probably residual oil from when it was previously leaking. Well after a few months of watching it drip whenever I park it (I think it only starts to leak after the engine shuts off), I decided to get some video of where it's coming from: Accord oil pan leak - YouTube

Does it look to everyone that that's where it's coming from? At :36 and :47 seconds into the video you can clearly see oil dripping from near the lip in between the corner bolt and the next bolt over. Does anyone know why it appears that there's a hole on the edge of the pan that doesn't have a bolt in it? Should there be another bolt there? I suppose I should just show the video to my mechanic and have him fix it, but I'm wondering why it's still leaking after the gasket was installed. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM

I stopped halfway through ur post sorry my phone is nearly dead. You can do the pan easily. I had a leak on mine and solved it. The original way to do this was with a tube of hondabond sealant and u would drop the pan and remove all the old crap then ooze the new stuf on wait 15 mins for it to slightly cure then reinstall.

Auto supplie stores have eliminated this by having a gasket manufactured that works great. Now if you damaged the lip of your pan you need to hammer it out to prevent leaks from either instal method.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by theshakes
Does anyone know why it appears that there's a hole on the edge of the pan that doesn't have a bolt in it? Should there be another bolt there?
The hole's not for a bolt. IDK why it's there. I noticed it when I replaced my oil pan. Nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by theshakes
...he had it running on the lift and hadn't noticed any oil dripping...I suppose I should just show the video to my mechanic and have him fix it...
Show him the video. Front seal leaks (crankshaft seal/front balance shaft seal/rear balance shaft o-ring/ ) tend to show up right about where yours is dripping when the car is jacked up on the driver's side. When the car's level those leaks tend to drip from the lowest lower timing cover 6mm bolt. I'm not saying that one of those other seals is leaking; it may be still be the pan gasket. But your mechanic needs to take another look.