General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord Transmission Woes

Old 11-19-2018, 08:23 PM
Default 2001 Accord Transmission Woes

So I recently got a 2001 Accord from my sister. She bought the car at ~160k on the whole thing, and has done a fairly good job of keeping up with most of the car up until about the last 6 months or so, in that time, it basically only got gas and oil. In the past week or so, I've noticed that the manual transmission in it is starting to whine in 4th and 5th gear. The car already needed a clutch (slipping in 5th under load), so I figured I would nurse it along until the clutch came in, and then I'd swap out the clutch, and change fluid in the trans (whole thing now has almost 260k on it). Long story short, the clutch didn't come in yet (will be here tomorrow now, third one I've ordered), and now I'm worried that I've ruined the transmission. Was driving it and noticed it was getting hard to get into gear, and stuttering upon take off. Going to leave and head home and it's getting worse rapidly until the car jerks really hard trying to take off, and then doesn't move. I put the car in neutral, and with the clutch in it'll roll, as soon as I let the clutch out, the engine died. I'm planning on pulling it apart as soon as I get time, but I'm worried that I killed a bearing on the input shaft because of low fluid (in all fairness, there are no spots on the ground where it's been parked).

I don't know if the input shaft bearing is something worth trying to replace, and I don't know if I actually an input shaft. Also, I'm not familiar with Honda transmission interchange. I know that this one has an F23 engine, but I don't know what transmissions will work for the car if I need one. I do know that the 98-02 is a direct fit, but I'm hesitant to just grab any transmission outside of that specific set of cars. Can anyone tell me what will interchange, and what they might be found in? And if I go with a different trans, do I need to swap axles, shift cables, etc. to get an appropriate setup?

I appreciate any help, I'm a decent level shade tree mechanic, but this is actually my first foray into Honda's.

As a side note, the car itself is in really good shape otherwise. No appreciable rust, a few nicks and dings, and clear coat issues on the outside. A little bit of wear on the inside, so I think it's worth fixing (contrary to my wife's thoughts...she thinks four cars is enough).

Old 11-19-2018, 08:38 PM

Do you change the trans fluid and clutch fluid?

Old 11-19-2018, 08:42 PM

The clutch master and save cylinder were changed about a year ago, along with the fluid. I haven't done the fluid in the trans yet. I was planning on doing that at the same time as the clutch.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:34 PM

As far as I know the 98-01 used the FB20 T2C5 4.062 final drive trans. Either way you will need to replace the clutch so it's up to you how you want to proceed.

Maybe someone else who knows more will chime in. Personally I would change out the parts and have one ready to buy if it still has issues

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 11-19-2018 at 09:39 PM.