General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord LX Shift Solenoid Error codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 06:37 PM
Default 2003 Accord LX Shift Solenoid Error codes

UPDATED post below the four images.

2003 Honda Accord LX 2.4L, AT, 205K miles
I could use some help debugging some shift solenoid error codes.

After fixing a no crank, no start issue, I discovered upon starting the car that I had the check engine light come on, and the "D" drive indicator was flashing green.
The error codes pertain to the shift solenoids: P0974, P0977, P0980, P0983. P0986.

A couple of things that come to mind that I did that may have contributed to this problem:
A) I mistakenly unppluged a wire connector toward the front bottom of the engine near the oil pan. I plugged it back in within the hour. This plug might be related to the shift solenoids.
B) I wasn't able to get the car into neutral turning the key, so I popped the little plastic plate next to gear shift, and pressed the plate down to shift into neutral and back to park.
I did this to move the car.

So a few thoughts:
A) Could shifting the car into neutral as I did contribute to the error codes.
B) Does unplugging and re-plugging in a connector to the shift solenoids cause this issue.
C) Perhaps I damaged pins on the conector. I will look at this tommorrow.
D) Perhaps I disturb some other electrical connection.

I hope that I have not caused damage to the car.

Any ideas to help? Pictures of connector that I disconnected are attached

Jon

UPDATE:

I was able to resolve this issue as follows:
A) Using a flashlight and phone camera, snapped photos of the male and female parts of the connector. The male end has seven pins, with no pins missing, and all are straight.
B) No visible issues with the female connector.
C) Tried a bunch of pushing on connector parts and not sure which worked.
1) Tried to push male connector toward engine mount
2) Pushed wires toward backside of female connector.
3) Re-connected the male and female conectors.
D) Started engine. Noticed flashing "D" was gone. Check engine symbol lit.
E) Used code scanner to erase the five codes that were present.
F) Drove car around for a while. Car has behaved normally, and no codes have emerged.

Hopefully my post will be of help to someone down the line. The four pics and the five engine codes show what can happen when this connector does not connect properly.

Last edited by azurite2005; 02-10-2022 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Show solution to issue
Old 02-09-2022, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Those trouble codes relate to the shift control solenoids inside the transmission case. The black connector plugs into the separate solenoid wire harness inside the case which plugs into the various shift control solenoids (A, B, C, D, and E).

So it probably is related to the black connector's connections. On another Honda forum awhile back, several people for their V6 inadvertently pulled the wires off for the separate solenoid wire harness when they didn't understand how that separate wire harness wiring ran inside. They had to open the case where the shift control solenoids and wire harness was located to repair.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:34 PM

Thanks for your help in resolving this issue. I have updated the original post.