General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Honda Accord AC problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Default 2004 Honda Accord AC problems

I have a 2004 Honda Accord V6 EX 4 door with automatic transmission.
My problems began about a year ago when the blower motor died. I replaced the blower no problem easy job. Then the AC started working sporadically. After reading through the forums and some PM with hondadude I checked the resistor (under the dash near the blower, if I am calling it the wrong thing) and it was in the the stated range of 1.5kw. Well fall then winter came and I forgot about the AC but now summer is here and I could use a little cool air. The clutch is not engaging on the compressor so I figured I would check the low pressure. I bought an all in one gauge and freon for pepboys and when I checked the low side pressure it is well over 100 pounds (car running and not running) I know that is not good. Then I tried the self DX with the control unit in the car and it goes through some kind of diagnostics but does not return a code.
I would jump the clutch but don't really know how to do that or if it would even be wise at this juncture.
Any help would be appreciated even if it is take it to the dealer.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A pressure of 100 psi on low side of ac system is OK, given no compressor action. This simply reflects static pressure of your ac system charge and indicates that saturated condition (some liquid) is likely. This should be adequate to cause the compressor to run (at least briefly).

Since compressor is not running, you need to determine a couple of things:

1) When compressor should be running (AC on, blower on, keyswitch On), do you have 12v to the compressor clutch connector. Disconnect and measure voltage on single pin.
2) If no voltage, check the AC Pressure Switch contacts. Remove connector and measure resistance across sensor contacts. It should be zero ohms if switch is closed (should be closed w/ 100 psi pressure).

Report back what your find and we'll proceed from there.

good luck

Old 07-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the help I will do those two things and check back.