General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Accord A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Default 2004 Honda Accord A/C Problem

Hello, I have a problem with the A/C on my 2004 Honda Accord EX 2.4L L4, it's not blowing cold air. I also hear an abnormal noise when the A/C is on. The blower fan does turn on, it's just that I don't get cold air even when going to low.

I had noticed that the radiator fan had died and I replaced that (thread here), but that didn't help things with the AC.

I did the diagnostic method described in the HVAC sticky and the code returned was: I - An open in the driver's air mix control motor circuit.

Also, I noticed that when going through the diagnostic procedure, the A/C started blowing cold air. Today is cooler than normal though (here in FL) and I'm not sure if it's really blowing cold air, but it seems to be.

Does anyone know what the issue could be?

Thank you!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

If there is an issue with the air mix motor.....then the air may not be going over/thru the ac evap thus no cooling.

Suggest you trace/test/repair the issue with the air mix motor first, then see what you have.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Air mix motor failure is fairly common problem on Honda/Acura products and others as well (use same part!). Usually some "grinding/snapping" sounds accompany problem (motor hunting for position continuously).

You can purchase a download manual from automanualsource.com to get the location, details of procedure. It is accessed from driver's side, and some trim pieces will likely need to be removed to gain access.

good luck

Old 03-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Thank you for the replies.

I found this thread too, so I'll try opening the air mix motor to take a peek.

2004 air mix motor - cleaning - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Yes it is possible to repair. I was in process of repairing my MDX air mix motor and dropped small worm gear. It bounced to some other dimension and no amount of looking could find. I purchased a new part.

Only tricky part is access (not familiar w/ your model). On the MDX it was good access but difficult to get both hands in place.

Part is pricey as you'll find. The MDX mix motor was $180, so repair is worth some effort.

good luck

Old 03-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Yeah it's pretty tough to get at. I tried but I could only remove 2 of the 3 screws as I couldn't even see the 3rd one. I'll have to remove the dashboard lower cover I think. What a pain. The part for my car seems to be "only" about $62.44 so I might just get a new one. Hopefully I don't have to replace both motors.

Can someone tell me if this is the actual part?
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...0-SDA-A41.html

It says MOTOR ASSY., TEMPERATURE DRIVER, no mention of air mix, but I'm guessing that is the right one.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:20 AM

It looks to be correct, but when I checked another site, majestic honda, I got a different part number. See following. It may be cheaper, assuming shipping costs are reasonable, a problem w/ Majestic.

Honda Automotive Parts

good luck