General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Tranny Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:33 PM
shissir
Unregistered
Default 2005 Tranny Problem??

Hi, I don't know much about cars, but let me try to explain the issue. I just bought a 2005 auto-V6 Accord with 53,000 miles on it. Everything's great, except after a day or two I noticed that something's not right with the downshifting. Whenever I'm coasting with my foot off the gas, the downshifting is very noticable not when it shifts, but sometimes when it goes to certain gears it will slow the car down like my foot's half-way on the brake incertain gears (I thinkit's when it goes from 3rd to 2nd but I have to pay attention more). When it shifts again, the car starts to coast normally. The RPM's don't go up though, so it doesn't seem like it's shifting into the wrong gear. I don't get it. It's really annoying, being that I'm coming from a 93 Lincoln Continental with 144,000 miles on it that ran smooth as hell.

Should I just hope it needs a fluid change, or does it sound like something else is wrong? It seems like more than fluid to me, since the shifting itself is not the problem. Actually, now that I think about it, it's probably not the tranny at all unless it's shifting into the wrong gear..... help!

Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Default RE: 2005 Tranny Problem??

does it make noise when it happens like a clunk or anything? I believe that you have a 60,000 mile tranny warranty, call the local honda dealer and ask them if the car is still in warranty and if it is just have them take a look at it. It may be normal and you're just not used to it but in the event it's not I'd have it looked at...

Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

my 07 Se does that. kind of feels like engine braking. i dont think there is anything wrong with it.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
shissir
Unregistered

No it hasn't made any noise that I've heard.

The thing that's weird is that it seems inconsistent. Sometimes the car slows down a lot and other times it coasts normally. In the worst cases I feel like I'm driving a manual and I just went from 3rd to 1st the way that the car slows down.

Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

That car vs. your 93 Lincoln are way different. Transmission computers are trying to be smarter. It sounds like it 'thinks' you want engine braking, based on how you were driving before you lifted the gas pedal and how quickly you lifted. Keep that stuff in mind & try to figure out a pattern, like maybe it does that only when you lift suddenly& quickly.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 AM
shissir
Unregistered

That's an interesting point, I'll try to see if that makes a difference.

But the reason I think something's not right is sometimes when I start coasting at 40mph, it will coast normally, then when it switches to 2nd the car will engine brake pretty hard and go from 30mph or whatever to 15mph in what seems like a few seconds, then when it switches to 1st, it will start coasting normally again.

As long as this doesn't indicate a big problem I don't really care, it just makes me nervous since I don't have any extra money to put into it.

Thanks for your input guys.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Sametranny behaviorfor my 05 EXL.
Normal.
It's one of the features I really like.
The PCM is smart enough to downshift during a stop deceleration.
My daughter has a 2004 Toyota RAV4.
It has a thumb button to keep the tranny out of OD.
Nice feature in traffic.
I was disappointed that Honda didn't have same.
Turned out that Honda has a better method.
The engine RPM and speed are just where I like accel and decel.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Well, mine are all manual trannys, because I DON'T like that feature. Too many times it guesses wrong about what I want. The trannys are getting smarter but they can't read minds (yet).

I guess I can't positively rule out an actual problem. I guess you're out of warranty, or I'd suggest having a dealer take a test drive. Maybe pretend you're in the market & test drive an '05 at a dealer?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 AM

I have a 2003 New Bug six speed auto & it does the same thing... Your post made me feel better!!