General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 EX-L 3.5L V6 - Vibration under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Others have cured this problem w/ CV axle replacement and in one case the poster found the extension shaft bearing (also called half-shaft) was worn out. Yours has the extension shaft on RH side.

good luck

Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Do you think it could be from worn rear engine mount that cause the engine to vibrate!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

According to my garage, all CV joints and engine mounts are in great shape. They couldn't find anything wrong with the car when they inspected it a few weeks ago. The only suggestion they had, at that time, was a change of transmission fluid. Given that several of us have what sounds like the same symptoms, it will be interesting to learn if we share the same problem. I'm looking forward to having this issue resolved as it's rather annoying now.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM

I, too, am suddenly having vibration on low-speed acceleration, and found this thread. '91 Accord for me.

The vibration just started this week. Last weekend I replaced:

Front Wheel bearings
Complete drive axles (but not the intermediate shaft)
Front rotors
Drained/refilled transaxle oil with 30-wt as spec'ed by the manual.
Increased front tire pressure from 38 to 45 psi

In the last couple months I'd lowered the car with KYB springs and struts; new tires and balance.

I'm going to have the alignment checked/done tomorrow.

But what's the sudden vibration? 70 on the interstate is smooth as silk.

Is there a phasing issue between the halfshafts? I can't see how . . .

Forrest

Last edited by McDesign; 11-17-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Default Vibration at acceleration

I am having the exact same problem. I have an 2009 Accord EX-L V6 with 52,000 miles on it. I noticed this issue about 3 months ago. Mine occurs periodically. Today, it was very pronounced once, while in slow-moving traffic, but it didn't occur anymore after that. That's when I can feel it -- in slow moving traffic. To me, it feels like the engine is vibrating, and once it reaches the 3rd gear, it is smooth sailing. I've read all of the responses so far, and it appears that there aren't any definite fixes??

Old 12-28-2011, 04:38 PM

I've got a theory. I believe the vibration is a rear motor-mount issue, and the variable is how the grease is slung around in the inner CV boots, and thus un-balances them - that's why people notice it with new half-shafts - I sure did. I noticed in my manual that the automatic version of my '91 has an ELECTRONIC motor mount to damp vibration, if you can believe that.

Since Honda engines rotate reversed from most other transverse FWDs out there, they just may be particularly susceptible to worn motor mounts at some harmonic frequencies and loads.

In a higher gear, the torque reaction of the half-shafts is less, so that may be why we all notice the vibration more in the lower gears.

Dunno - what do all of you think?

Forrest

Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you for all the further replies and helpful input. For my part, I can tell you that I had the transmission fluid changed and, for a few days at least, it did seem to cure the vibration issues. The garage showed me the old fluid and it was a deep burgundy in colour instead of the shade of pink it is when new. Additionally, there were lots of metal shavings which were attached to the magnetic plug. Prior to changing the fluid, the garage anticipated there could be filings which 'might' be causing our vibration issues. Anyway, we still have the vibrations although they are not quite as pronounced as before so this could be food for thought. To be honest, I've just accepted that I'm going to have to live with this now.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Default Fixed vibrations between 55 and 60

I searched the forums for solutions and most post are pointing to CV Axles and I event replaced mine but the problem still was there.

I found the fix for my problem was busted Front control arm bushings.. I ordered Beck and Arnley Control Arms for my 2003 Honda accord V6 from Amazon and now I am finally riding smooth again...

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Here's where it's important to evaluate your own problem. If someone had "the same" problem, and fixed it with xyz parts, that NEVER guarantees that the same xyz parts will fix your car. Almost any problem can be caused by more than one thing.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Happy New Year everyone.

I received a private message recently from magikmuzik99 enquiring if I had found a solution to the vibration under acceleration problem. I was pleased to let them know that I have, and here it is. I had to take it to my local Honda dealer to have a software update for torque converter shudder. Bulletin E-3-12. Pleased to say that since the software update there has been no shudder whatsoever. It seems it's a known issue in the V6's, including the Accord and Odyssey models. After all the frustration and consternation of this issue, it cost about $30 to fix in the end.

Hope that helps anyone else experiencing the same shuddering / vibrating when accelerating from 2nd to 3rd.

Adam