General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

217,000k only a few issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 217,000k only a few issues

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 Accord V6 Coupe that's been running like a dream aside from a few minor things. Just hit the 217,000 mark and just had a few things going on, my CEL comes on and off every so often, I am being told that its probably my CAT. When I first start my car it sounds like a rattling coming from the exhaust of my car, I checked for loose shields/covers, holes in exhaust(doubt that would rattle) also checked to make sure my mufflers were good and everything checked out. Had a guy look at it who is not a certified mechanic but is somewhat knowledgeable about cars and he said it was my CAT. Any thoughts on this, I want to make sure that this is a likely cause before I go and buy the $200-$300 part. I have also changed my EGR Valve and cleaned the ports as this was the code it was pulling for.

Secondly, awhile back I change my neutral safety switch because my car would not move from park into drive. Before this was changed what I would end up doing is putting the car in neutral using the release and start the car that way then put it in drive. Well that part fixed the problem but come 1 year later and 17,000 more miles its doing it again. Is there any of you out there have had this same issue with this car and if so is there any other route to a more stable solution? Is this a common issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2015, 02:56 PM

As for the rattle, with the car safety off the ground take your fist and pound the exhaust pipe at various locations to see if it an exhaust shield. Also check the shields mounted to the body above the exhaust pipe.

As far as the code and the EGR. I am a little confused, was it and EGR code or a CAT code? Have the codes pulled and write down the codes regardless what people try and tell you. A CAT code will be a P0420. As far as the EGR the primary port in the intake manifold had a service bulletin where the port is tapped out and a stainless sleeve is installed to prevent further clogging.

The getting it into drive issue... Can you get the key out of the ignition when the car is in park? The other somewhat common thing in the push button on the shift level sticks or get gummed up. If that is suspected then a light spray of silicone and working the button in and out may help.