General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

a few issues with my 97 accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
scotthonda
Unregistered
Default a few issues with my 97 accord

A few nagging problems have arose with my accord

First, I got a new battery and now I have to put a code into the radio for it to work again. The problem is I don;t have a code. The original owner did. Any idea how I can access the radio code for a 97 accord?

Second, I had overheating problems for a while. I replaced the radiator andthermostat. Its not overheating but now the cooling fan runs really long after I shut the car off (30 -40 minutes). I started pulling the fuse so it would shut off and then putting it back when I drive. What could the problem be?

Third, bought some crappy fuzion tires a little while back. Car is shaking at 55+. Any tires that are a lot better then the garbage I have now but also won't break the bank?
Thanks for the help with any of these issues

Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: a few issues with my 97 accord

Theres 2 different fan switches to control the radiator fans. Follow the TOP radiator hose to the engine. There at the nozzle isthe one thats responsible for after you shut off the engine.

When youshut off & the fan keeps running, unplug that switch. If that makes the fan turn off, you probably have a bad switch.

Got a multi-meter? When cold, that switch should be open circuit.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

As for the radio code, stop by a dealership to get the code. You can try the owner's resources part of the honda.com website. Their site might cover your car, but I have never tried it.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Radio code for the 97 will require information //REF# from the label on the radio case.

Here's your top tech tip of the day;
Remove the ashtray....then the metalshroud from above the ashtray [3 phillips screws]
Now use a pocket size inspection mirror and a flashlight to read the numbers from the labelglued to the radio.
Just remember digits are reverse looking thru the mirror.
Been there and screwed up. LOL

Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sumitomo makes some good cheap tires. I've heard good things about Fusions also, but I guess it depends on the model line. It sounds more like you lost a balance weight than tire tread issues .... might want to have that checked out.