General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th gear, is gone.pasted to my drain plug!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Default 4th gear, is gone.pasted to my drain plug!!

ok tranny finally said screw it im done. i was driving the other day and car just stoped running/stalled on me. its an auto tranny, ive got a main seal leak. started the car and drove to my bros house. left and when the car went to shift into fourth it shifted but didnt catch just rev like it was in nuetral. stoped at a carquest and put in about a quart and a half of tranny fluid cuz there was what seemed to be none in it. i put the car in reverse ready to go and no go just rolled back like i was in nuetral. im very confused by this point. so i let it roll and drop it in 4th thinking its all good make down the street and its ready to shift into 4th again, well low and behold same thing just rev. so i drove home in third the whole way reved at 4 grand to 4500, not to happy doing that, running it so hot and high reved. before all of this about 7 months ago 2 tranny coolent lines busted while driving, i let the car sit over night and did the repairs in the morning. ever since ive had slipage going into fourth. but now it seems the gear is just gone. im gonna do the smart thing and check the pan for garbage and maybe replace the filter. i just needed to see if anyone had any clue on what the problem is. ultimatly im gonna swap to a manual. but if its a small problem like air in the lines, not enough fluid, or clged filter, or something of that sort it would be great to know. ive got to make a trip to luisiana from florida to work on a boat. and im not driving in third the whole way. let me know what you think. greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Default RE: 4th gear, where did it go!!!!?

It sounds to me like you're SOL.... you can try making sure your fluid is full etc but I'm going to guess that 4th gear is stripped.... you can also try some of that tranny fluid treatment... at this point I don't think it's going to hurt anything...

Old 08-25-2006, 08:39 PM

I changed my tranmission fluid three days ago. Before I did that, I put this stuff in the old fluid:
http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_flush.html

Then I put 2 quarts of fresh Honda transmission fluid in there and added this, and then topped it up to proper level:
http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html

Only after I did this treatment did I realize how the shifting of our transmission had "changed" over the years. Each time I've driven the car since the change, shifting improves. I think it's pretty remarkable stuff.

I'd give those two fluids a shot before calling it quits on the old tranny.

BTW, if you re-fill using Honda tranny fluid, you add the red-bottle protectant. If you use other brands of tranny fluid, you have to add a different colored bottle of Lubegard. Just ask the vendor which is proper to use.

(Just so everyone knows, I am not any kind of sales person for Lubegard. I had read various internet sites about it and it comes highly recommended by tansmission places around here.)

Old 08-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 92Inspire

. im gonna do the smart thing and check the pan for garbage and maybe replace the filter.
sorry to give you more bad news amigo.. but on Honda trannies there is no pan nor a filter that you can replace ...

they have a metal filtering screen but it is below the valve body.. to get access to it you need to completely disassemble the tranny

Old 08-25-2006, 11:04 PM

well thanks for bursting my bubble there desert. lol. i dont know much about trannys, honda or any other brand vehicle. i kinda fugured there was no pan since, lol well there looks not to be one. so im gonna drain all the fluid and just refill. anybody know the correct amount with the bell housing being full.? thanks for the help and ill try that lubeguard. thanks again guys.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:45 AM

My owner's manual says 2.4 quarts and I figure that's just about what I added, including Lubegard.

That little dip-stick is not exactly user-friendly - especially if the engine is hot. I used a really long pair of needle-nose pliers to pull and replace it.

I also find it difficult to discern where exactly the liquid level is on that little cross-hatch pattern on the dip-stick.

Although I did not do it, I think one could very easily over-fill the tranny. After draining, you can add two quarts quickly, but be very careful after that.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:43 PM

well. here the conclusion to this epadimic. i changed the fluid and well, when i pulled the drain plug out it looked like a paint brush with silver paste on it. very very thick, and i inserted it again to get all the shavings out. sucks for me, but now i have an excuse to do a manual swap. hhahahahahaha. well i hope that helps anyone. before you go replacing parts and all that if your tranny is sliping, just go ahead and change the fluid and check that drain plug. i think my tcm was telling me hey your tranny is screwd, take it easy. anywho. thanks for all the help guys.

sincerly,JOE.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Want to go faster and get a relatively fresh transmission at the same time?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jdm-H...QQcmdZViewItem