General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Accord EX Engine Rebuild Time

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 90 Accord EX Engine Rebuild Time

I have a honda Accord EX with 240,000 miles, and its time for a rebuild. I have found lots of oil on the spark plugs and a ton of leaks. But since it has high miles I'm going to go all out, I'm replacing all gaskets, as well as the cylinder head, camshaft, crankshaft, pulleys, water and oil pump, bearings, pistons, pistons rings, timing belt, and some major cleaning. I want to spend somewhere around 1,000 on this project. I just need some help on what kind of kits i should get, parts, etc. Any help on what i should get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, i have all the tools, including engine lift, stand, torque wrench, camshaft puller etc. Heres what i have found for replacement parts, let me know what your opinion is about them. Heres the heads and engine rebuild kit.

Heads
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Kit
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Old 12-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

have '93 w/ 227,000 on it and not needing rebuild yet.
But when you're done maybe you could summerize hardest parts for your rebuild, briefly W/O writing a book.
and whether you'd do it again...

if/when time comes, might influence whether tackle it (like me, and/or my mechanically inclined son).

luck

Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I wouldn't spend the money on a rebuild...rather go with a used engine swap for less than $500.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you checked engine compressions? It is very easy to go through and engine rebuild and wind up w/ worse problems than you have now. Anything over 135 psi and < 20 psi difference worst-best is considered OK. I once had and tested a 250K+ miles, 90 Accord that was pushing 200 psi w/very little cylinder variation

Leaks are easily fixed compared to an engine rebuild and I don't know any that aren't reasonably accessed. Here's a list of frequent leaks:

1) spark plug tubes -replace seals/orings/valve cover gasket. Felpro kit is $20-30
2) distributor - new oring at cylinder head or if leaking through distributor, rebuilt distributor. worst case perhaps $150 for rebuilt distributor.
3) shaft seals - camshaft, crankshaft, forward balance shaft
4) rear balance shaft /oil pump cover oring - requires timing belt access and usually performed w/ timing belt and water pump
5) oil pressure switch. Near oil filter easy job.

good luck

Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, I did check compression and one was significantly Lower than all the other cylinders. Another reason why I'm doing a rebuild is it's overheating as well, my radiator has no leaks and the fans work, I replaced the engine coolant sensor, temp coolant sensor and thermostat my last option is the water pump. I also have a big oil leak down by the harmonic balancer area and by the exhaust/head area that lands on exhaust and makes smoke. Thanks for all the recommendations though. And yes I will post what was easy and what was hard.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Finished. I have completed the rebuild and it runs better than ever, and the compression is perfect. For $350 I got a whole rebuild kit and a brand new head. Have no more leaks and funny smells, no more overheating And my gas mileage has gone way up. It took some time to find the parts.

The hardest parts were getting the piston rods off, getting the flywheel off, and getting the exhaust pipe off the exhaust manifold after twenty years they get stuck in their pretty good. Other than that everything was straight forward.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

nice work.

and thanks for telling the end of the story.