General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 accord fan is always on

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
LandonHondaAccord
Unregistered
Default 90 accord fan is always on

When I come to a stop, and Im sitting there for slightly over a minute, the temperature gauge begins to read hot. The needle moves from mid-way cold/hot up to hot. Then the fan turns on and it still reads hot, only when I begin to move the needle goes back to normal temperature. Why does the car read so hot when I sit there? Could it be that I had the radiator replaced and somethings missing? Or I need to check the o2 sensor? Also, when I turn my car off, the fan stays on for about 5 minutes or so.Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 90 accord fan is always on

You likely have a non-working thermoswitch A (turns cooling fans on at about 190F). Thermoswitch A is on the thermostat housing behind the distributor. Remove the electrical connector to the switch and short the connector w/ a wire jumper. Both fans should run continuously as long as keyswtich is ON. A new thermoswitch A should fix your problem.

If operating temp is normal at forward speeds, the thermostat should be OK. If not, you might replace the thermostat at same time.

It is normal for cooling fans to run w/ keyswitch OFF, if the coolant temps are a bit high. This prevents too much heat soak overheating of the cylinder head which can damage the head gasket.

good luck

Old 01-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Is the replacement rad significantly smaller than the original? It sounds like the thermoswitch is bad if it takes too long to turn on the fan.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
LandonHondaAccord
Unregistered

so it is normal for the fan to run once the car has been turned off...I dont usually hear newer cars doing that, I thought it was the 90 old school honda way of cooling off. Can there be a significant problem that may occur if I do not change the thermoswitch A, if it is the problem?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 PM

personally i consider the fans running with the engine off abnormal unless it's a hot day. if you don't change the thermoswitch in the thermostat housing you can damage the head gasket and need possibly need a new head or block if warped enough. that is assuming the thermoswitch is the problem.

to find out - disconnect the thermoswitch and jump the two terminals in the connector with the key on engine off. both fans should run. if they do, replace the switch and road test. consider replacing the thermostat since the engine has already overheated a few times.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: LandonHondaAccord

When I come to a stop, and Im sitting there for slightly over a minute, the temperature gauge begins to read hot. The needle moves from mid-way cold/hot up to hot. Then the fan turns on and it still reads hot, only when I begin to move the needle goes back to normal temperature. Why does the car read so hot when I sit there? Could it be that I had the radiator replaced and somethings missing? Or I need to check the o2 sensor? Also, when I turn my car off, the fan stays on for about 5 minutes or so.Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
I'd assume that what has already been mentioned is the issue but I'll throw this out there anyway.... I had that issue once with a car that had severly worn blades on the waterpump, water didn't cycle/cool fast enough at a stop... Why was the radiator replaced?