General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 Accord Help Please !

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 90 Accord Help Please !

Hey Guys im New to Forum ! I have A 90 Accord with issues ..
the car starts & runs fine but when it warms up to where the fans kick in it starts acting crazy ! If you Hold gas to the 2000rpm range it will start Spitting & Pukeing like crazy ! but it will not Die ..I can play with gas pedal and it clears up , then it starts again .

OK THINGS I"VE DONE .....

Changed Fuel filter ...
NEW Plugs ...
Removed and cleaned IACV ..Also swaped it out
Pulled EGR port plugs and Cleaned them !

installed new EGR VALVE ...

Nothing Has helped !

IM not getting a CEL ...
Please someone help !

Also if it was main fuel Relay wouldnt car Die ?

Please Help !!

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

You said that you have no CEL, but check for codes anyways. Check that the backup/radio fuse (7.5 amp) in the engine bay fuse box is good. Also check the ECU fuse (10 amp).

Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for reply PAhonda ...checked fuses everything looks good ! no codes Now what ?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the engine computer can't get the air/fuel ratio correct when it goes into closed-loop (fuel efficient) mode. That happens when the engine gets to operating temperature.

Now the question becomes, is one sensor giving a false reading and screwing this up (should cause the check engine light to turn on), or the engine computer. Lets cover some basic items first. I advise not to throw parts at your car.

Was any work done on the car not long before this started happening?

Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. Does the check engine light turn on for about two seconds, then turn off? Did the check engine light turn on and stay on when you checked for engine codes? Did the D4 or S light flash when you checked for engine codes? In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link on how to check engine codes.

On the thermostat housing, there is an important ground wire bolted there. I would disconnect that ground, clean the bolt, washer, and eyelet with a wire brush or sand paper, then reattach.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok the Cel does come on when I turn key to the #2 position then it go's off . Im going to check and clean Ground wire like you said first thing tomorow ! I'll let you know.. thank you so much for your help !