General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 honda accord gear grinding

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:35 AM
yamahonda06
Unregistered
Default 90 honda accord gear grinding

HI, I have a 1990 honda accord ex, everytime I shift above 3000 or so from second to third it will grind pretty nasty. I am replacing my clutch soon with a lightweight flywheel and exedy clutch. I want to either fix or replace my transmission as long as i have to pull it out. Where should I start?

Old 04-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Default RE: 90 honda accord gear grinding

I would guess your transmission synchro's are going out.... Here is an excerpt from a transmission article if you're curious... you can also google "transmission synchro" for more info...

To prevent gears from grinding or clashing during engagement, a constant-mesh, fully "synchronized" manual transmission is equipped with synchronizers. A synchronizer typically consists of an inner-splined hub, an outer sleeve, shifter plates, lock rings (or springs) and blocking rings. The hub is splined onto the mainshaft between a pair of main drive gears. Held in place by the lock rings, the shifter plates position the sleeve over the hub while also holding the floating blocking rings in proper alignment.

A synchro's inner hub and sleeve are made of steel, but the blocking ring -- the part of the synchro that rubs on the gear to change its speed -- is usually made of a softer material, such as brass. The blocking ring has teeth that match the teeth on the dog clutch. Most synchros perform double duty -- they push the synchro in one direction and lock one gear to the mainshaft. Push the synchro the other way and it disengages from the first gear, passes through a neutral position, and engages a gear on the other side.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/tec...9/article.html