General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 accord: overheating in winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

That's why I don't like the 'stop-leak' products. When I saw you put it in, I cringed, but it looked like you had already done it.

WHERE is it not circulating? Viewed thru the open radiator cap? There's not really anyplace you can 'watch' the circulation thru the head & block.

You can check for a plugged radiator by disconnecting both it's hoses & putting water thru with a garden hose.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
That's why I don't like the 'stop-leak' products. When I saw you put it in, I cringed, but it looked like you had already done it.

WHERE is it not circulating? Viewed thru the open radiator cap? There's not really anyplace you can 'watch' the circulation thru the head & block.

You can check for a plugged radiator by disconnecting both it's hoses & putting water thru with a garden hose.
yep, viewed from the open radiator cap.
lower hose never heats up, upper hose hot...car overheats rapidly.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, sounds like a plugged radiator. Maybe clean it out with some kind of "FLUSH" product? My favorite solution would be a new radiator, but it's not my money...

I would do a VERY thorough rinse to remove all the stop-leak stuff from the engine. Remove thermostat & flow tons of water thru the radiator hoses - use a garden hose.

Then fill & drain a couple times with distilled water. Usually a bunch of water remains after draining, so use the total capacity from the owner's manual to figure out how much antifreeze (don't use the stuff that's already mixed 50/50). Then finish by topping up with distilled water.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Yeah, sounds like a plugged radiator. Maybe clean it out with some kind of "FLUSH" product? My favorite solution would be a new radiator, but it's not my money...

I would do a VERY thorough rinse to remove all the stop-leak stuff from the engine. Remove thermostat & flow tons of water thru the radiator hoses - use a garden hose.

Then fill & drain a couple times with distilled water. Usually a bunch of water remains after draining, so use the total capacity from the owner's manual to figure out how much antifreeze (don't use the stuff that's already mixed 50/50). Then finish by topping up with distilled water.
i am thinking of a new radiator as even before this one was plugged i was having cooling system issues.

i went to autozone online and there are 2 radiators for around $100 and a third for $275...are these cheaper ones not complete radiators or something?
its hard to tell from the picture.
($100 is doable, $275 isnt)
should i try and find a used one?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Also check TAS down in the marketplace section here?

I'd be tempted to try the cheaper ones, but can't back it up with actual experience.