General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord Speedo/Trans Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Exclamation 91 Accord Speedo/Trans Problems

Hello all!!

I have a 91 Accord EX Auto Trans

Every now and then i will be driving and the speedometer(i just replaced from a 92) will drop to zero and the "S" light will blink. after about a minute the spedometer came back on but the "S" light was still flishing. When i came to a stop the car seemed to idle lower than nomal.

When i got home i puled into the drive way and opened the hood while it was idling low. I pushed on the little lever on the intake and reved it. the car reved and then when it came back down it almost died but recovered. I did this 2 times.

I shut the car off and restarted it. Everything is fine.

Please, i would LOVE to hear some input!

Last edited by ryandavis33; 05-14-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

The S light flashing means the transmission computer detected a problem. Did the check engine light (engine computer detecting a problem) turn on as well?

Regardless, you should check for engine and transmission codes. It is very simple to do. Read the thread called How to check CEL codes in the DIY section. Count the check engine light and the S light for codes. Let us know what you find, then you can narrow down the problem. Also tell us which light flashed each code.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The S light flashing means the transmission computer detected a problem. Did the check engine light (engine computer detecting a problem) turn on as well?

Regardless, you should check for engine and transmission codes. It is very simple to do. Read the thread called How to check CEL codes in the DIY section. Count the check engine light and the S light for codes. Let us know what you find, then you can narrow down the problem. Also tell us which light flashed each code.
OK i will do that

BTW the Check Engine light is burnt out

Old 05-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

You should probably fix the check engine light bulb.

I think that the 91 accord had a window on the engine computer (ECU) that you can look at a LED flash the codes using the method in the DIY section. You may not even have to short the connector.

The transmission computer (TCU) has a LED as well. They are located on the passenger foot well near the firewall. You will have to pull back the carpet to see the ECU and TCU. They are right next to each other.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You should probably fix the check engine light bulb.

I think that the 91 accord had a window on the engine computer (ECU) that you can look at a LED flash the codes using the method in the DIY section. You may not even have to short the connector.

The transmission computer (TCU) has a LED as well. They are located on the passenger foot well near the firewall. You will have to pull back the carpet to see the ECU and TCU. They are right next to each other.
Can you send me a link mate? i cant find where to look anywhere on the DIY area. Thanks! and Cheers!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator