General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord Starting; I Need Help In This Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Angry 91 Accord Starting; I Need Help In This Forum

I can use some suggestions. About two months ago, after driving about
20 miles we stopped at a store. When we came out, the car wouldn't start. We waited about 5 minutes and it started and ran well. Yesterday
after driving about 15 miles with three stops (after the first two stops, it started fine), but after the third stop at a fast food restaurant (about 1/2 hour), it would not start. We waited about 20 minutes, but still no start. Had to call tow truck to get home. After arriving home, still no start. This morning after sitting in the garage all night, it started immediately and ran perfectly. Any ideas?

Last edited by john1937; 08-12-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the Check Engine Light (CEL), Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition.html for guidance on diagnosing where igntion is failing.

good luck

Old 08-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Please Look Where You Post...

Originally Posted by john1937
I can use some suggestions. About two months ago, after driving about
20 miles we stopped at a store. When we came out, the car wouldn't start. We waited about 5 minutes and it started and ran well. Yesterday
after driving about 15 miles with three stops (after the first two stops, it started fine), but after the third stop at a fast food restaurant (about 1/2 hour), it would not start. We waited about 20 minutes, but still no start. Had to call tow truck to get home. After arriving home, still no start. This morning after sitting in the garage all night, it started immediately and ran perfectly. Any ideas?

This was the New Member Forum..I moved it to here..

Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Thumbs up Good Post And Answers Buddie..

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the Check Engine Light (CEL), Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition.html for guidance on diagnosing where igntion is failing.

good luck
Thanks PaHonda..great answers...

Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Also should include that you must check for this when no-start is present. As I always checked for fuel pump whirr when the car was starting and never thought to check for it when it was not starting.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Default 91accord Starting

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that there seems to
be a lot of vapor pressure in the fuel tank in hot weather. Vapor emissions system or canister? The car is starting and running well since the problem surfaced a couple of days ago.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Default Main Relay!!!

Happens a lot when hot! Loose solder connections. It's under the dash, drivers side. Easy repair if your handy with a soldering iron!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Smile 91 Accord Starting

Thanks so much, Trucknut88. You are absolutely correct about the relay. The trouble was diagnosed and found last week. So far, so good.