General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'91 timing belt change hints

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
Got boost ,, my man ,,, seems like i keep on disagreeing with you, but that is the worst thing that you can advice members to do,,

Members Please DO NOT try this method ,, the crank bolt is very tight and the chances of snapping off a flywheel tooth are pretty high ,,if that happens than you got to remove the transmission and replace the flywheel........
if you totally cannot loosen the bolt up,,,,,,, i rather see you ,go to a garage pay them 20-30 dollars to loosen the bolt up and re tighten it, but not with the impact gun..ask them to use a 1/2 big rachet ...Nut will not come loose ...you can then drive the car home and remove the bolt ..

However,, i do agree with you about spraying some rust penetrant ( wd40, pb blaster etc etc ) on the bolt and let it sit for a while

Deserthonda,

I have NEVER snapped a flywheel tooth using this method.

If you want to talk high torque numbers on crank bolts, then lets talk the Toyota Supra Turbo. The 7MGTE Torque spec for the crank pulley is 195 foot pounds. I have changed many 7MGTE Timing belts and have always used this method (on the manuals) and have never broken a flywheel tooth.

I'm not saying just saying.