General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'92 Honda reman tranny going to last?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Default '92 Honda reman tranny going to last?

My car had correct dealer maintenance until 60k miles; then it needed, and got, a Honda reman AT at the dealer. I understand this sort of thing was not uncommon.

Since then, the car has been maintained correctly (e.g., using Honda ATF) and it has 130k on it.

My question: did Honda figure out what was wrong with the original trannys and correct it when they did the re-builds? Or, is the tranny flawed in such a way that I might be approaching the end of my trannys life?

Thanks,

Roy

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I wasn't aware that 92 Accords had significant AT problems, but maybe others will comment.

If a problem hasn't appeared since 60K and you have serviced trans regularly (30k miles drain/replace Honda ATF), then I think you're in good shape for many miles. I drove a 90 Accord to 267K miles w/ original AT and it was shifting fine as new owner happily drove away. There may have been a tear in my eye

good luck

Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Talking Honda Trany

Honda had a recall with 90 thru 93 automatics. The counter shaft nut would come loose and cause a loud whine . kinda like a whistle sound. I can hear the ones driving around with this problem. We would remove the end cover and replace the countershaft nut and change the washer which was the problem. The original washer was just a plain flat one.The updated washer was convex in shape so it would compress when torqued. Other than that Honda Auto trans are sent to marysville Ohio to be re-built by an assembly line of women. I know this because once I put a note in side the trans that said "eat me ". They were offended and I was called to the service managers office. They took pictures of it a filed a complaint against the dealer I worked for. I found out by being called into the service managers office. Damb! the general manager was in there as well as the owner. They showed me the pics. and asked me what I knew. I told the truth. Luckily All I wrote was eat me. So The owner just said screw em if they can't take a joke. Thats how I found Out women re-build Honda Automatics. That was in 1992. So maybe now there built by mexican women down south of the border. who knows anymore. I hate the nafta act. Cant buy american even if you want.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:00 PM

Thanks to you both.

Old Dude, I think that must be what I was thinking of. My tranny was replaced in August 2000 at 76k miles...but, it seems not to have been a recall as the PO plunked down $2,500 to get it done.

It seems you both agree that a '92 rebuilt in 2000 should go to 200k miles with correct maintenance.

Thanks,

Roy