General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 accord cuts out when warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Angry 93 accord cuts out when warm

Hi all,
I've seen alot of similar posts out here but no direct matches, so looking for some ideas. When the car is cold or just started, runs great. Warmer the thing gets it starts cutting out (doesn't die or leave you stranded, but has NO power and putting the pedal to the floor just goes mwaaaaaaaaa). Put in the clutch, thing drops to an idle, smooth as silk. Plugs, wires and cap all new. New ICM thinking that would do it, no dice. Took it to a local shop and they suggested it was the ECU. Ordered one of these and 125 bones later, no improvmement whatsoever. As I said, it never dies - never need to re-start it, it usually snaps out of it's "phase" by putting the clutch in and revving it up. Then, drive a little bit and mwaaaaaaaauuu same thing. I've found that if, once I get her to revive, if I simply floor it and go through all the gears it runs like a rocket. But, alas, not enough continuous highway here to let it run like Mad Max forever (though it sure is fun while it lasts). As soon as you have to get back to the real world and posted speed limits, the dang thing goes down the drain and you have to wash, rinse, and repeat while the people on my bumber complain about my "driving skills" if you know what I mean.
PCV is also fine. Any help greatly appreciated.
thanks!

1993 2.2 5 spd lx coupe 200 billion miles.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM

Check the main relay

Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by doctorbee
Check the main relay
I assume you mean the fuel pump relay or something else? There is alot of relays in there aren't there?

thanks

Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No mention of Check Engine Light so I assume none.

Doesn't suggest Main Fuel Relay (MFR). This is a go/no-go fault. When it's present car will stop if driving or fail to start.

Weak spark from coil would cause this problem, but check air filter for blockage.

O2 sensor might also cause this problem. If it's very old, you might consider a new replacement, < $50.

good luck

Old 07-26-2012, 07:22 AM

yep, no CEL on. Air filter new (but is an aftermarket - not the stock air box). If the O2 sensor or any of the emmission controls were failing shouldn't they trip the CEL?
thanks

Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM

A failed O2 sensor usually trips code 43, however there have been enough reports of drivability problems remedied w/ a new O2 sensor to suggest that occasionally this component can be faulty enough to cause drivability symptoms yet not trigger Check Engine Light.

good luck

Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Thumbs up EGR valve

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I even took the thing into the local Honda shop since all ideas to date failed. They tested fule pressure and said all that was fine. Recommended replacing the distributor to capture the igniter, coil, and ICM amongst the other wires internal to it thinking that it was one of those. That failed to make any difference. Code 13 was also present now so I diconnected the EGR valve and the car instantly ran smooth. Ordered a replacement valve and that was it. You never know I guess.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks for reporting the fix.

regards