General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 Accord cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Default 91 Accord cuts out

Ok I posted in new members area but putting my gremlins in here also

1st problem I need to get dealt with is the engine cutting out at around 4000 rpm....doesnt happen all the time though.

I bought the car recently and it had a new clutch installed, I noticed a wire disconnected so hooked that back up and seemed to cure SOME of my idle issues and restored some power and for the 1st time I could rev (in gear) to 6000rpm...thought everything was ok....well left a friends house and at 4000rpm again, CEL comes on and the car cuts out but stays running, shift into another gear and CEL stays on but sucks fuel....turn the car off and re start and CEL goes off......now if running down the highway and downshift into 4th and floor it...at 4000rpm CEL returns, car cuts out....repeat the off/on starting and CEL disappears....just kinda weird

Also, I seem to only have the intermittent wipers working, which makes for interesting driving in the rain (thankfully in AZ doesnt rain much but the microbursts are unique LOL!) the intermittent works fine but go to put wipers fully on and they stop completey....so do you guys think I need a new switch?

Thanks for any help

Old 09-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 91 Accord cuts out

I would check for codes in the ECU. See DIY link to get instructions for this task. Even w/ CEL off there may be a code. If not, wait till it returns and catch the code.

I suspect you're right about the wiper switch being the source of your problems. You may be able to access a plug under the dash and install a jumper short to actuate the wires and confirm nothing wrong w/ wiper motors.

good luck

Old 09-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Default RE: 91 Accord cuts out

Thanks! I will be looking into all of that tonight when I get home and see what I can find out....dont think its the moitors on the wipers since works perfectly on intermittent...I am looking to the switch as prolly the problem