General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93' Honda Accord LX Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Question 93' Honda Accord LX Starting Problems

Hi I am trying to fix a 1993 Honda Accord Lx. It will not start by the key but you can start it by rolling the car and using the clutch to start it.

Here's what we have tried so far:

New battery...new starter...new main relay...new clutch switch (behind clutch pedal)...new ignition...new fuses...all wiring intact (no nicks, dings, or bare wire)

I am stumped here. Any suggestions?

Oh, it does not appear to have any type of alarm installed.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Time to check some electricals instead of replacing parts.

Check first to see if you're getting a 12V signal to the starter solenoid connector (small blk/wht wire usually) when keyswitch turned to Start position.

If not, then check that clutch switch is shorting when clutch is pressed (closed circuit).

If clutch switch is closing, ignition switch assy is next likely culprit for no starter activity (no solenoid or starter turning).

good luck

Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Find any strange plastic pieces on the drivers floor?

Attached Thumbnails 93' Honda Accord LX Starting Problems-pedal-plug-broken.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by poorman212
Find any strange plastic pieces on the drivers floor?
My car is having this same issue.. but is an auto (unfortunately). And I have found these peices on the floor, what is that supposed to mean?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by militiamaiden
My car is having this same issue.. but is an auto (unfortunately). And I have found these peices on the floor, what is that supposed to mean?
That is the pedal stopper pad.

For your automatic, your car only has the stopper pad for the brake pedal assembly. When you press on the brake pedal, the brake light switch plunger extends and the contacts on the brake switch closes (which turns on the rear brake lights). When the brake pedal is not pressed, the plunger is suppose to be depressed when it contacts the stopper pad, which leaves the brake switch open (and brake lights stay off). Without the brake pedal stopper pad there and if you do not press on the brake pedal, the brake lights will stay on.

This link shows some pictures and other info.:
Brake lights stay on...how I fixed them - Honda-Tech

For cars with the manual transmission, there are two other pedal stopper pads for the clutch pedal assembly. For a manual transmission, if the pad for the clutch interlock switch is missing, the car may not start, as the power would not be going all the way to the starter relay and starter. This link has some info. regarding how the pad cause this person’s car not to start.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...se-help-55602/