General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'94 Accord Died While Driving + coolant loss

Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Default '94 Accord Died While Driving + coolant loss

Specs, 1994 Honda Accord LX 2.2L automatic

Here's the short version; I was driving through town when my engine died. Once I got on to shoulder I noticed that there was a HUGE amount of coolant on the road where my car was, and on the shoulder.

Full Story; I was cruising at about 40mph when my engine just stopped. All the electronics in the car still worked, such as the radio and dash lights. I pulled into the left turn lane, got some help and parked in a school parking lot. That's when I noticed that there was a huge puddle of coolant in the turning lane, and where I was now parked.

I tried starting it again, it cranks really well, but just won't seem to catch.
I looked at the temp. gauge when the car died and it was normal. Warm, but not over heating.
I only got to look under the hood for a few minutes, but it looked like the coolant was coming from the front driver side. Maybe next to the alternator, but I didn't have time to really investigate.
I'm not sure if this helps, but once it died the gas pedal felt limp, like normally there is a little pressure when you push on it. But now it sinks to the floor with very little effort.

That's everything odd that I can think of, I've done some work on the honda, but I'm no expert, and I have no idea what could have caused this.

Last edited by Steveserm; 01-10-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Cant imagine how the gas pedal would be related, so maybe leave that as a separate item for now.

If you lost all that coolant, you better not start the engine. You have to find the leak (torn hose??) and fix it. Refill the coolant, bleed out the air bubbles, THEN work on whatever else is damaged.

If it was run for very long without coolant, it's possible that you can have a warped head, or other (expensive) problems.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I would suggest Maby a hose broke. To lose that much coolant so fast

Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Alright, so I just got done towing the car to my house. I jacked the car up, and poured about half a gallon of water into the radiator before I started to hear water dumping out onto the floor. The water was pouring off from the oil pan. It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like its coming out from where the timing belt is. It's not like a little dribble either, the water i dumped in was all on the floor in about 30 seconds.

My dad was saying that maybe the timing belt snapped and could have messed up a gasket.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Possible, but there's a big metal water pipe connects to the water pump on the back side of the engine. Slide under there and see if that's where the water's leaking from. There's a small coolant hose or two connected to it that may have broken too.