General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Died while driving, hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Died while driving, hard to start

I've got a 95 accord EX 5spd VTEC. The otherday it just out of the blue died on me while on the interstate. I coasted as far as I could because I commute over an 8 mile bridge everyday, which I just happened to be on. Anyways I've had a problem a few months back where the car would not crank. Needless to say I replaced my ECM and that seemed to fix the problem. Now it is acting the same way. When the car died everything was still on dash lights, radio, headlights, so I know it wasn't the ignition switch. I have replaced that a couple of years ago, I know how the car acts when that happens. The one thing I did notice was the CEL was on. I turned the car off and back on tried to crank, no go, CEL stayed lit. Turned my radio completely off, tried again, CEL went out car cranked and I drove home no problems.

Drove to work and back home the next day, but I stopped to get gas. After my fill up the car didn't want to crank. The fuel pump primed, CEL went out but when I was cranking the CEL was flickering. The radio was off the whole day. I removed the radio right then and there and tried again, it cranked. I'm not sure if the whole radio thing is just giving me enough time so that the car can reset itself or what.

I drove it this morning everything worked fine, less radio. It seems I have a short somewhere but have no clue where to look. No fuses are blown.

PS I jumped the connector to see if there were any codes but nothing was there.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Check the various ground connections and other electrical connectors. Ensure ground G101 (ECM ground) is tight and secure. Check connectors for the alternator, ECM, etc., etc. Make sure the connectors to the ECM are firmly locked in.

Attached Thumbnails Died while driving, hard to start-5th-gen-accord-g101-ground-location.jpg  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Everything seems nice and snug. Pulled the G101 ground off, it was clean and tight. Ran fine today no signs of anything wrong. Still have the radio disconnected.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

CEL staying on suggests possible problem w/ Main Fuel Relay (MFR). MFR opening will kill the engine immediately, cause no-start, and is notoriously intermittent.

Listen carefully for fuel pump to come on when you turn keyswitch to On. Fuel pump should run 2-3 secs and cut off. If no fuel pump sound, MFR is likely the problem.

good luck