General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord EX not starts about 5 percent of the time

Old 10-28-2013, 03:55 PM

I changed the Main Relay, but it doesn't seem to be the problem. The relay is where I can hear the problem, but I don't think it's the problem, if that makes sense. I can sit in the car and torn the key on, after about 20-30 seconds I hear a click in the main relay and I can start it, when it's acting like this (which isn't often) it will start right up no problem. The next day (or even an hour later) I turn the key to the on position and never hear the second click, and as expected it will not start. I have had 3 different relays in there (the one that was in it when I got it, and 2 new ones) they will all do the same thing, only work sometimes. The codes I get with the flashing D4 are 1, 8, and 14. What could be happening here? It's driving me nutty, I'll go out to try some more troubleshooting, and it starts fine, then it won't again. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rizico; 10-28-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Flashing D4 is for trans codes and probably not related to no-start. Are you having AT problems.
?
When you don't hear fuel pump, do you see Check Engine, Oil Pressure, and Alt lights on or off? If Off, then ignition switch assy is a likely fault.

If you do see the lights, do you get starter turn-over or only silence. If silence then something is interupting the Start signal; either ignition switch or AT gear position switch.

good luck

Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Flashing D4 is for trans codes and probably not related to no-start. Are you having AT problems. ? When you don't hear fuel pump, do you see Check Engine, Oil Pressure, and Alt lights on or off? If Off, then ignition switch assy is a likely fault. If you do see the lights, do you get starter turn-over or only silence. If silence then something is interupting the Start signal; either ignition switch or AT gear position switch. good luck
No A/T problems at all. When the relay doesn't NOT engage, all normal "key on" lights are on, oil, check engine, etc. and they stay on. When the relay DOES kick in like it should the Check Engine light goes hot as soon as it clicks. The starter turns over every time. I replaced the ignition starter switch, it is brand new. Not that was only the back portion of the switch. So I don't know if there could be something causing the problem in the front part of the ignition switch.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM

When you don't hear fuel pump engage, try "hammering" the fuel pump w/ repeated on/off/on.... If this kicks fuel pump on, you may have a failing fuel pump. I had this problem on my 94EX and new fuel pump was necessary to fix.

To be certain, you need to confirm that 12V is being applied to the pump, but pump is not running. I wired a 12v light in cabin to the fuel pump power wire to get this confirmation; light on but no fuel pump action.

good luck

Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM

Sorry, I'm just getting back onto getting this fixed, I have not had the time to work on it, I may get time this weekend. I do want to point out that when the fule pump is getting power, it works. The problem is in whatever actuates the Main relay. When it's working (which it hasn't since my last post at all) if you turn the key to ON, after about 10 seconds I hear a second click which must be what is activating the fuel pump. NOW that it's not working nothing happens in the ON position after any amount of time, no secondary clicks, and it will not start. Could this be an ECM issue? is that my next course of action? I'm determined the problem is whatever is controlling the main relay and not the relay itself, because I have now had 3 new relays in place, all with same result.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 AM

The ECM supplies a ground to the MFR to enable the MFR. It is possible that an ECM defect is delaying/stopping the ground enable to the MFR.

Check ebay and car-part.com for a used ECM matching your ECM part no. I've purchased for < $25 in past. Prices are a bit higher now on ebay. Car-part.com will be cheaper but be sure to get a "working part warranty".

good luck

Old 12-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Had a similar problem. Check your main battery ground from the negative battery terminal to the block. It's kinda hard to get to but definitely worth a check

Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

ECM supplies ground, but rule out wiring issues before you blame the ECM. The ECM just closes a circuit to one of it's own ground wires, so if that ground wire from the ECM isn't well-connected to ground, that can cause the trouble.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Along with "jroxz" and "jim" - check the wires just to be sure. On the 94 the main ground is on the drivers end of the TB/plenum - search for G101 on a 5th gen.

Still no luck, start searching for another ecu.