General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
OlBlue
Unregistered
Default 94 Accord Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

i have a 94 accord that eats key switches for lunch. THis will be the third switch in 2 years on this car. It will lose all power and die and not crank back up. I have figured out this morning that if i turn it over and then wiggle the key right it will stay running, but i must hold pressure on the key in the run position.
My question is: is this a replacement i can do myself, and does anyone have tips or instructions on the removal and installation of the lock cylinder.

Thanks Cory.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 94 Accord Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

See attached link.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/ignit...tch/index.html

I've heard that carrying a large heavy set of keys on the keychain can hasten failure of the keyswitch assy. Could this be part of your problem?

good luck

Old 07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
OlBlue
Unregistered
Default RE: 94 Accord Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

Thanks for the link. Yeah the key chain could be my problem also now that i think about it and my main key is badly worn. I am going to replace just the switch first and then if that hasnt cured my problem then ill swap out the lock cylinder. i tried my spare key and it fits much tighter in the cylinder than the original. The explination of the pitting problem sounds exactly like what i am dealing with. Thanks again for your help.