General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord lx a/c problem

Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Default 94 accord lx a/c problem

hello everyone, this is my first post although i have been doing a lot of reading.
well i just bought a 94 accord lx 4cyc 16valve...(wait) i am noob to mechanics. ok so i was having a problem yesterday with the car running hot after only 30mins of driving 50mph with some stop and go just to test it out. i read here about how to flush radiator for airpockets, checked the rad fans(which comes on when the a/c switch in the car is on) but a/c does not blow. i replaced the rad cap... i drove around a bit today in some pretty warm weather and saw that the car was leaking out the water that i would put in it. finally i saw a hose right behind the engine on the left that was squirting out the water/antifreeze. i am sure i could have replaced those hoses myself with you guy's help but i decided to let a mechanic do it. so i had all the hoses replaced for 70$, i was quoted 120$ and better for the job so i went with the 70$. i drove around for 20mins, stop and go near home, then i took her on the highway and got her up...everything is fine now, it isnt running hot anymore, the water in the rad isn't boiling anymore, and although the fan doesnt blow air or heat out, with the a/c on anyway the car got really cool with the windows up as if the blower was working. the mecahnic says it needs a new fan motor for the blower and to be recharged, he's asking 200$ parts and labor. since it is not so hot and i'll only be driving to and from work and maybe out on the weekends, but still here in town is it okay to drive like this for a week or so until i can have it fixed without damaging anything? oooo (i had the airflow open inside the car, a/c on, and fan at 3 and there was white smoke/vapors coming in through the vent) not heavy and no odor, i assumed it was freon or something. other than that, the car seems really good, no knocking or anything like that and btw when the vapors were showing the car was at 60-75mph. once i got home and turn the engine off, from under the dash passenger side, i could hear hissing, i was also assuming it was freon noises. thanks for your input and please do correct me where you may not understand and i will explain better.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Cory Demetrius Moultrie
here in town is it okay to drive like this for a week or so until i can have it fixed without damaging anything?

oooo (i had the airflow open inside the car, a/c on, and fan at 3 and there was white smoke/vapors coming in through the vent) not heavy and no odor, i assumed it was freon or something. ...

i could hear hissing, i was also assuming it was freon noises...
Yes, OK to drive.

Son's prelude had this happen, the A/C never worked again. Think it is a leak developed in the evaporator (critical A/C component). load of freon leaks out causing 'white smoke.' Freon not dangerous to breathe in my knowledge.

Bet your A/C is sunk. My son hasn't got his 86 prelude A/C repaired 'cuz he's young, poor and the car isn't worth it. still drives car w/o A/C.

Your $200 buck quote is good, except I doubt this fixes the leak.
So I'd guess, your mechanic is good, but doesn't know of the big leak that just developed...

hope my pondering helps...

Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

White smoke could be water vapor in the air that is blowing out.

Is the fan inside the car pushing the proper amount of air through the vents? Not worried about the temperature of the air for this question.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
White smoke could be water vapor in the air that is blowing out.

Is the fan inside the car pushing the proper amount of air through the vents? Not worried about the temperature of the air for this question.

the fan that blows air into the car doesnt not work, it needs a new motor.and for the reply abou the leak= replace the hoses and rad cap, the car no longer runs hot or leak any fluids. drove it around all day today.. got up to some good hwy speeds, everything on tat end looks good

Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your ac should not work if blower motor is inop. Did white smoke occur before blower motor failed?

Blower replacement on 94 Accord is easy (3 screws under dash to remove). One screw requires a flexible extension to reach, but that is only complication. Blower is avialable for < $50 at many locations; ebay, amazon, et al. If you DIY anything, this will save $150 easily.

White smoke can be caused by freezeup of evaporator (moist air over ice produces fog). Once blower is running check again for this problem. It can be caused by weather, AC charge condition (low) or improperly set evaporator temp control system (prevents freezeup).

good luck

Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Your ac should not work if blower motor is inop. Did white smoke occur before blower motor failed?

Blower replacement on 94 Accord is easy (3 screws under dash to remove). One screw requires a flexible extension to reach, but that is only complication. Blower is avialable for < $50 at many locations; ebay, amazon, et al. If you DIY anything, this will save $150 easily.

White smoke can be caused by freezeup of evaporator (moist air over ice produces fog). Once blower is running check again for this problem. It can be caused by weather, AC charge condition (low) or improperly set evaporator temp control system (prevents freezeup).

good luck
Hey there. i just drove it to katy from beltway and westhiemer and i am convinced that i got a great car.... I catch on very easy and i am a DIY type of guy but i just wouldnt want to screw anything up, but very good with some step-by-step info.. the mechanic says the blower needs a new motor BUT as u stated, if that was the case maybe it wouldn't blow at all.... I have the airflow open on the vent so that outside air comes in, the a/c button on and the no matter where i have the speed set nothing happens so i leave it on 1 just to keep the fans by the rad running. (the vents blow air very very low and when it wants to), i tried the defrost switch, no airflow from there tho. i am thinking that the only reason the air comes out is because the car is moving, but it should be able to blow on it's own. i did drive it for about 30mins stop and go and jumped on hwy for about 15mins. hwy speeds with a/c and everything off. the car didn't idle hard, over heat or anything. once i turn the car off or stop at a light i can hear very lite ssssss noise under pass dash, sounds like freon or something dealing with the a/c, it doesn't last long.

new problem: i know i need to top up the power steering fluids as it is at the lower mark, but i am ticking by the driver front tire to a stop..... nothing strong or anything, its not pulling or anything, and it only happens when im applying brakes, lightly or stronger....is that a brake problem or would that be because the power steering fluids low?
thanks for the help and ENJOY this great weather out here.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

AC system ground is provided through blower switch. If blower is inop and open circuit, then AC won't work.

PS noise is possible, but usually continues w/ engine at idle.

good luck

Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
AC system ground is provided through blower switch. If blower is inop and open circuit, then AC won't work.

PS noise is possible, but usually continues w/ engine at idle.

good luck
SWEEEET, i DID IT MYSELF!!! i replaced the motor which was completed in all of an hour... i had to rewire it once because the fan was spinning the wrong way...but everything works like a charm, since i've owned 3 hondas before, i know that with this one, if i was to take a 1000mi trip right now, the car would make it... that ticking noise that i mentioned, it just sounds and feels like maybe the joints need to be replaced becase the girl before me may have had rims on it... i plan on getting all of that taken care of next and start my mods with this car.... but thanks much for your post...saved me 170$ the motor was only 53 bucks...