General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 accord oil light+overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Default 95 accord oil light+overheating

So i replaced my fan switch and my fans are working properly now. Replaced the thermostat, bled the system and flushed the radiator. So at least one of the previous overheating problems has now been fixed. But now when i'm stopped after driving for 15-20mins the temp guage slowwly rises and the oil light begins to flicker -as the guage goes higher the light becomes brighter. When i accelerate the guage quickly comes back down.

Now hopefully this can help to diagnose the problem...
When i got home yesterday after a test drive the car was starting to overheat so while in park, i reved the engine(even if only 1000rpm) and the oil light turned off and guage came back down fairly quickly!

I was happy when i discovered this because i figured it would be much easier to find the fix! Hopefully this IS the case. Any help will be much appreciated!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Are you sure the cooling fans are running when car is stopped and begins to overheat? If not, faulty thermoswitch A may be the problem, not closing at preset temp (199F).

Check for additional air in the system.

If nothing, check for bubbles entering cooling system w/ radiator cap off and cold engine running. Bubbles would indicate head gasket failure.

Oil light could be a failing oil pressure switch. It's probably cheapest to simply replace and see if problem is resolved. If not a gauge oil pressure check is necessary to confirm low oil pressure.

good luck

Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 AM

hmm ok il try that. thanks

Old 09-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you're low on oil.
Use the dipstick to check the amount of oil in the motor.
No insult intended