General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Honda Accord EX - Leaking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 95 Honda Accord EX - Leaking Oil

Hello!

Been a user for a while, mostly reading and a few questions. I own a '95 Honda Accord EX 2.2L - Manual Transmission

I recently took it get safety and emissions and they told me the Oil was leaking from the transmission or transaxle. Also the frame and oil gasket pan was leaking. They also said oil could be leaking behind the timing cover and onto the timing belt. I don't have any oil spots on my driveway, so I can't tell how bad this really is.

I love my car and I am an amateur DIY and I am willing to get dirty. But not sure where I should check first. Looking for a little direction of where to start.

Any ideas, questions or thoughts would be great.

Last edited by BenJoeM; 07-07-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Check your engine oil level periodically to see how much engine oil you are losing.

The manual transmission does not have a dipstick, so you have to remove the top fill bolt on the transmission and feel if transmission fluid is filled to the top with your finger.

I am not sure what they meant by the frame gasket?

You need to find the highest point on the engine where oil is leaking from to identify the source of an oil leak. Common spots from the top to the bottom are: valve cover, distributor, vtec solenoid, oil pressure sending unit, seals behind timing belt cover, oil pan.

As for the transmission, make sure that oil is not leaking from the distributor on to the top of the transmission. There are only a couple of places that I can think of that would leak transmission fluid. The axle seals or the gasket for the housing.

You just need to locate the source of the leak.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the reply. I will start looking. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

"Also the frame and oil gasket pan was leaking." Oil pan gasket and oil running along frame rail?

If you don’t have oil dripping on the driveway that isn’t much of an oil leak. I would do my best to clean up the bottom at the car wash and see what you have.

You want to find the highest point of oil leaking as it runs down and makes other items look to be leaking