General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 honda accord ex over heating problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

There are two common tests that you can do to test the internal condition of an engine.

1. Compression test. You hook up a compression gauge one one cylinder. Unplug the distributor and remove the fuel pump fuse. Crank the engine so it turns over 4-5 times. See how much air was pushed into the compression tester. Repeat for the other four cylinders. If all four cylinders give the same reading, then the compression rings and the valves are working ok. If one cylinder is off, you can't tell if it is the piston, head gasket, or valves.

2. A leak down test. Similar to the compression test, but gives more information. You pretty much connect an adapter that screws into the cylinder head on one end and the air compressor on the other end and force air into the cylinder. You can actually use the adapter for the compression tester with one modification.

You can listen to where air is escaping. If air is bubbling out of the radiator, then you have a bad head gasket. Through the exhaust = exhaust valve problem. Through the throttle body = intake valve problem. Through the oil dip stick = piston rings problem.

There are fancier leak down testers that will have read the difference between the air compressor pressure and the piston pressure.

There are two good videos on how to do both that probably will give you a better idea of what I am talking about:

Compression Testing and What You Can Learn From It - YouTube

How To Perform A Leak Down Test - YouTube

Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by deloreselizabeth93
hmm, I know some guys at a shop that swear by this stuff. ill have to go to autozone and check it out myself.
Better yet, have the guys at that shop put it in. Since they swear by it then they shouldn't have a problem backing it with a time/mileage guarantee. It's a win-win situation for you and the shop.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:07 PM

hey guys, again sorry for the late reply but all of your input has been appreciated! I used the Bar's Leak Liquid Copper and it has seemed to fix the overheating. I just did an oil change as well but after a drive from Riverside to moreno valley, when I get off on my exit, my oil light will be on while I'm stopped and blinking while driving. I popped the hood when I got home and noticed that my radiator was boiling. I checked the dipstick properly and it seemed fine. but I could smell burnt oil. any suggestions?