General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord EX 2.2 auto trans slipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 96 Accord EX 2.2 auto trans slipping

Could use some help from you all. Thanks in advance. I had a used '97 auto trans put in my '96 at 142K mi. This one is now starting to slip on all the upshifts at 191K mi, getting worse over the last four days. Then the CEL came on. Ran code and got 7 blinks on the CEL and 4 blinks on the D4 light. Yesterday when I put it in 1st to go, it took a few seconds before going into gear. Seems to downshift okay in all gears, but not sure. Code says it's the Vehicle Speed Sensor. I R&R'd it, got rid of the CEL coming on, but still have same problem with shifts.

I'm being told I need another trans (from the same shop that put in the other one), that all the solenoids, valves, external components, etc. are checking out fine.

Any way around getting another trans? Thx again.

Last edited by sunhonda; 01-11-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

When the check engine light blinked its code, was there one long blink and 7 short blinks? A code 17 from the check engine light is for the VSS.

Has the check engine light turned on since you repaired/replaced the VSS?

Have you changed the transmission fluid lately? What fluid did you use?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for your reply. The CEL had 7 blinks then a pause before doing the 7 blinks again. So I can't tell if they were long or short blink since there was no comparison.

The trans originally came with Dexron III (142K mi.), and w/i a month I did three quick changes ("flush") with Honda's Z1 trans fluid. Had no problems until I put in the new Honda fluid that replaces the Z1 fluid. I called Honda about my problem, asking if the new stuff could cause the problem, of course they said "no".

I R&R'd the VSS and it got rid of the CEL light, but maybe I didn't drive it enough to get it to kick back on. I'm thinking the tranny is bad.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Check your transmission fluid level when the engine is warm, but turned off. Just want to make sure that the transmission has the proper fluid level in there.

A code 17 would be 1 long blink + 7 short blinks. You can unplug the electrical connector to the EGR valve, then check the codes to see what a long blink looks like. Just pull the backup/radio fuse to clear the engine/transmission codes.

You may want to clean the EGR ports on your car. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum.

There is also an adjustment on the throttle cable going from the throttle body to the transmission. In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to online shop manuals. The 94 manual is almost identical to your 96. The cable adjustment will be in there.

You can also adjust the throttle cable from the gas pedal (search v=rawvJop772E on YouTube for that video). That should be similar to adjusting the cable going to the transmission.

Just trying to give you cheap and simple things to do before considering a transmission replacement.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

PAhonda, thanks for your inputs. I was hoping that someone might know right off, given the symptoms I presented, if the problem would be the tranny itself or the external components (solenoids, valves, etc.) since the car is already at the shop (had it towed there). My local Honda Service Mgr. says the symptoms sound like the tranny itself is bad.

Since my independent shop wants to put in a another tranny I was hoping to get confirmed by the readership here that it was a tranny problem and not just an external component one that could be fixed much less expensively.

They're going to give me a price break ($700 parts and labor total! instead of $850) since I only got 50k mi. out of this tranny they put in ($750 P&L in '06). That's a good price, and if I get at least another 50k out of it, I'll be okay with it. At that rate it's cheaper still than buying a new one.

Fluid levels were always good, stable, clean, changed every 15k or so, level checked w/i one minute of turning off engine. Problem came up w/i 500 mi of changing fluid with the new Honda fluid, DW-1, that replaces their Z1 fluid (three different Honda shops say the DW-1 fluid wouldn't cause this shifting problem, even on an old tranny).

The shop I have the car at, specializes in Hondas, told me it's better to use the old Dexron III in the pre-'98 trannys ('97 and older), which includes mine. So I think I'll stay with Dexron in the next tranny since they're the ones maintaining it.

Thought the readers might want to know this since everyone, including me, always thought we should use only the Z1 fluid. But this brand new stuff, DW-1, might not be a good idea in the old trannys. Time will tell.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Default Kinda Kurious

hello Mr Sunhonda.. i saw your post about trans slipping in a Honda forum and was curious about the status of that transmission dillema u had ESPECISLLY qhwn u said it happened soon after fluid change its been over a year now whatup?.. did u let them put in another transmission?..is that DW fluid Honda sells hidollar synyhetic like most automakers are using now..im just guessing..would like your thoughts on this plz..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by mbcoupe
hello Mr Sunhonda.. i saw your post about trans slipping in a Honda forum and was curious about the status of that transmission dillema u had ESPECISLLY qhwn u said it happened soon after fluid change its been over a year now whatup?.. did u let them put in another transmission?..is that DW fluid Honda sells hidollar synyhetic like most automakers are using now..im just guessing..would like your thoughts on this plz..
Yes, I did have to put in another (used) tranny and kept the Dexron in it that came in it, per the recommedation of the garage that supplied and installed the tranny. It's been running great, no signs of any problems using the Dexron. Since I had a 90 day warranty I drove it pretty hard the first month hoping any weaknesses would show up that were there. All's good.

Hope this helps.

Don't know about the Honda DW being synthetic or not.