General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord maintenence questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:30 AM
demoniam
Unregistered
Default 96 Accord maintenence questions

My wife has a 1996 Accord Dx, automatic with 138,000 miles.

She just received this car recently(within the last 4,000 mikes) from her dad. I know that the car has only had the bare minimum done, as far as maintenence goes. Oil changes, Timing belt, plugs/wires/dist, and timing belt. We need this puppy to last us hopefully for a few more years. Some questions for ya. The only probs right now are 2 busted cv boots, needs a new axleback exhaust, susension is a little mooshy, shifts are a little off (randomly), and the steering feels kinda loose (compared to my mazda mp5).

1. What maint things may have been neglected, and need to be done?
2. At this age/mileage, is the maintenence cost going to be worth keeping the car? or would a newer car with a monthly payment be cheaper? She loves her Accord, but we don't want to get into a money pit situation, KWIM.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Default RE: 96 Accord maintenence questions

hondas are excelent cars and will last forever. even if the car was neglected the problems should be minor. it sounds as if the tranny fluid wasnt changed or hasnt been,im sure you have but check the level. i have a 92 and when the power steering fluid is low it has more play in the wheel, but ive never driven a 96 so. as for keeping the car up, honda parts are generally cheaper than most. if you go with genuine honda parts you shouldnt have to dump money into the car, the parts have good warrenty's and last. and yes the cost will be worth it. but go to a mechanic you trust if your not gonna do the work yourself or you will be dumping money into the car. i think you made a good choice with the car and coming to the forum. i hope i could help and im sure some other people will be along shortly to give you other ideas.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:09 AM
demoniam
Unregistered

thanks for the quick response. I just need to look up what maint stuff that I need to do, and if I need to replace something, I'd like to upgrade (suspenion parts, brakes, et c).

We've got a baby on the way and a few weeks and just wanna make sure I get stuff done before the big probs pop up.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i would not even think about upgrading anything at this time ( baby on the way ),,

zo the maintanance to make sure car is in ok driving order,.if t-belt has not been done DO IT. along with water pump, alt, p/s belts. and related seals .
do a major service,,,o/f tranny fluid, ( use ATF-Z1) fuel and air filters valve adjust, brake fluid flush, spark plugs ( NGK ZFR5F 11)..CHK all susp parts. chk cv boots, chk p/s rack dust boots ,,chk exh system ,,

And for 92 inspire comment that if p's fluid is a bit low ,it has more play on the wheel .. I have never heard or seen that before and i have been around hondas for quite a few years and done my share of p/s systems ,,,,,

Old 09-22-2006, 01:23 PM

than there is something wrong with mine. when its low it has more play and its easier to turn but makes a very annoying squeal and its not the belt.