General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 EX power window switch -- how to check?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Default 96 EX power window switch -- how to check?

First, anybody have detailed wiring diagram for the 94-97 power window? My Haynes is not detailed enough.

The story: m driver side power window stopped working a while ago (it was very slow/weak before it final gave up). I thought it was a bad motor/regulator and purchased a replacement part. But unfortunately, I now find that there is no power to the new part :-(

Now the major suspect is the master switch. But I am hesitating to buy a new part and then find it is not the problem.

The test done so far:

1) No power to the the motor from the master switch (four contact, blue/black, blue/yellow, red, & black wires).
2) The blue wires are shorted together and become open when the switch is pulled/pushed (from resistance measurement). Right behaviour?
3). Neither of the blue wires going into the switch have voltages (three other wires have ~11V). Could it be a bad wire instead of the switch?

You probably can tell that the problem is I don't know which wire should carry the voltage into/out of the switch.

Many thanks! I am stumped.

Dong

Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 4dr or 2dr?

There is a manual in the "Common DIY Thread" - found at the top of this section that will have all of this

GRN/WHT to should have 12v when the key is on - this is for the drivers window on either the 2 or 4 dr.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Is this a 4dr or 2dr?

There is a manual in the "Common DIY Thread" - found at the top of this section that will have all of this

GRN/WHT to should have 12v when the key is on - this is for the drivers window on either the 2 or 4 dr.
Thanks a lot! This is a 4dr. I finally found the manual and you are right. The GRN/WHT does not have power when the key is on II. I track down the fuse and it is BLOWN. What a silly mistake! --- It should have been the first thing to check.

Now I plug in the motor and it can go down, but NOT up! That's actually how the window failed.

I will double check and report back -- it did not occur to me that the mechanical switch can fail one way, but not the other. Anybody see this happen before?

Dong

Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the switch can fail in one direction and not the other - In the manual you should see how to jump for down, follow the wire diagrams and you you will see which wires to switch to make it go up.

Jumping the wires only confirms something with the switch. Many have been able to clean the switch - electrical cleaner, q-tips, paper towels, ect - and get them working again.

If the window is still slow - draws amps. You might want to inspect the run channels. If they are good and properly adjusted then a bit of lube on them might help. This stuff is a bit pricey but will def do the trick....Shin-Etsu Grease (pn# 08798-9013), it is available from the dealer. Last time I looked it was like $20 a tube.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM

Thanks, poorman. I am happy to report that the power window is working now.

Yes, the switch is bad and I clean the soot/grease up using wires & tips. Now it is working in both directions. The window is still slow. I will get some lube for the run track soon.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Cool, glad you were able to get it going again....and THANKS for letting everyone know how/what worked, too many times we never know what happened.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:56 PM
Default which manual

guys im having similar issues, same year. Can you please tell me which specific manual it is you are using? Thanks.